STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, November 15, 2011

Perspective

Today, I am grateful for Gabby Giffords. Did anyone catch the Diane Sawyer interview last night with Congresswoman Giffords and her astronaut husband, Mark Kelly? What I loved most about the show was that it wasn't so much about the congresswoman and astronaut part. They are two amazing people with strong spirits and deep love for each other.

It occurred to me that so much of getting through the tough times in life involves who you have by your side. Mark knew that Gabby loved having goals and deadlines so he put her sneakers in a chair next to her bed and told her that she had two weeks to get them on. He bargained with God that if Gabby would just talk, he didn't care if she never walked another step.

Gabby's progress has been astounding. She DOES walk, though slowly. She DOES talk, though her vocabulary is still very limited. But the important thing is that she's working hard and still making progress.

There were a few examples during the hour of times when you could tell Gabby was cognitively aware and just unable to find the proper words to express herself. On a much smaller scale, I've experienced that with my migraines. I know what I mean and I just can't retrieve the words I need to convey it to anyone around me. I agree with Mark's sentiment - I'd rather than be immobile than unable to communicate.

Watching Gabby and Mark last night made me think a lot about perspective. I lose my words sometimes. Gabby has been working to recover hers for months and still has a long path ahead. Sometimes I feel overwhelmed at the things going on in my life - but I can walk to the mailbox without giving it any thought at all. Seeing Gabby's determination and Mark's support gave me an overwhelming feeling of if they can do that, I can certainly do this.

Starting today, I'm going to try doing a lot more of this with a much better attitude. Thank you, Gabby and Mark for the important lesson. I hope she will continue to defy the odds and find those words she's so desperately seeking.

6 comments:

I Am Not Superwoman said...

I didn't get a chance to watch the interview but I read a huge article on how far she has come and their love for one another. Even though she still has a long way to go, it does help keep things in perspective of being able to overcome such obstacles. She and her husband are truly remarkable.

Unknown said...

I would have liked to see that interview. Gabby Giffords is such a strong woman! We could all use the reminder that we are stronger than we feel we are, we just need support and to believe we can.

Toriz said...

Great post, and great lesson!

betty said...

I think that is a great lesson that you are taking to heart after seeing Gabby Giffords interview. I think she is remarkable in how far she has indeed come and I'm with you; I do hope she is able to express herself easily with words as she continues to recover.

betty

John said...

We can all use that lesson . . . yesterday defeated me, because it was a bad day at work . . . but, in the grand scheme . . . it didn't matter.

C. Beth said...

Sounds like it might be worth it for me to dig that interview up online. What an inspiring couple!