STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, November 07, 2011

In-House Laundry

Today, I'm doing laundry. Such a boring chore. But I remember when it was not only boring but also time-consuming.

Our first apartment meant loading the clothes in the car and driving to the laundromat. Cold, boring, and quarters.

Then there was our second apartment, which had a washer and dryer in the basement. This meant caring the laundry down two flights of stairs, outside, around to the front of the building, down another flight of stairs, into a dark and creepy basement. And quarters.

Our third apartment had on-site laundry across the parking lot so again, down two flights of stairs and then outside.

But that apartment also had a washer and dryer hookup inside. And from the day we moved in, I dreamed of a day when we could afford to do laundry inside our apartment. When that day finally came, I almost kissed the delivery man. Instead, I settled for washing our sheets and towels and told myself I would never take the ability to do laundry in my home for granted.

So that's why today, I'm remembering to be thankful for my washer and dryer that allow me to do laundry while writing quietly in the comfort of my own home. No driving, no quarters, no fighting for machines, no wasting entire afternoons in noisy cold places with strangers.

9 comments:

Susie Clevenger said...

I can remember when I was young having to go to an out building we called our wash house...in there was a ringer washer and a tub for rinsing....then it was outside to hang them on the clothesline...soooooooo thankful for my washer and dryer :)

Kimmy said...

Amen to that! I remember those days and so glad they are over!!!

Unknown said...

Great reason to be thankful! I remember the days of carting laundry to the creepy basement or to the laundromat and all those quarters.

Toriz said...

I miss those days of washing machines in your own home, and can't wait until we can get a new one and don't have to spend extra money going down to the laundry place in town to wash things!

C. Beth said...

What a GREAT attitude!!

betty said...

Good thing to be thankful for! I'm reminded too that at least I have clothes to do laundry for!

betty

My Mercurial Nature said...

Oh man, I remember those days, too! It's been awhile, but I'll never forget how I saved every quarter to be able to lug my stuff down to a dank laundry room only to find that all the washers were taken. Oh yes, I'm so thankful for my OWN W/D!

John said...

I've managed to always have a washer & dryer . . . when I was in college, the first three years, the laundry room (quarters required) was on the same floor as me. Then, I was in a townhouse with one.

My first apartment had a washer & dryer. Then I bought a house, so it continued.

The first time I ever had to haul laundry to do laundry was when CJ was born, and we had to wash our clothes (and CJ's clothes) while waiting for the paperwork to go through so that we could take him out of the state, so I've been lucky.

All that said . . . I still hate doing laundry.

JosephAlsarraf said...

I know how to do everything in the house except I still don't know how to do the laundry. : )