STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Saturday, January 03, 2009

Winner winner chicken dinner!

When people say it's an honor just to be nominated, they lie. Or, at least, if *I* said that, it would be a lie. I want to WIN! So thanks to A at Snarky Much? for an award!

The award comes with a few rules: The honorees are to: A) first list 10 honest things about yourself - and make it interesting, even if you have to dig deep! B) pass the award on to 7 bloggers that you feel embody the spirit of the Honest Scrap.

Thanks A!!! Now, to see if I can think of 10 honest things interesting enough to share without boring you all to tears.

1. While unable to write with my left hand, years of typing and piano playing leave me pretty skilled. I'm equally as talented in using my feet and often find comfort in knowing that if I lost both arms in a tragic accident, I'd be just fine adapting to using my feet instead.

2. Ten years ago when I married Joe, I thought I was very ready for babies. Ten years later, I feel less ready and less sure about children than I ever thought possible.

3. I laugh when people say you can't run away from your problems. Because I moved hundreds of miles away from my family to escape them and with Caller ID, it (almost) totally works.

4. My life was so boring growing up in the sticks that I would make up stories to tell my friends hoping they'd think I was cool. I developed such a habit of lying manipulating creativity that I still have to consciously remind myself sometimes that it's not ok. In some ways, I write so I don't lie to real people.

5. My little brother once named a hamster after my then-boyfriend, Ben. Shortly after Ben cheated on me and ruined my 14-yr-old life, the hamster died. (I swear I had nothing to do with it!) And I thought it was kinda awesome.

6. I once cheated on a guy with his identical twin brother because it was less effort than trying to tell them apart.

Oh, oops, these are supposed to be 10 honest things, not 10 things that make you seem like a complete jerk. Sunday confessions aren't until tomorrow!

7. I grew up in a completely sheltered environment - small town with zero diversity and over-protective parents that freaked about everything. We never traveled or did anything cool. Now that I have the means to travel and experience things, which I totally love, my anxiety has prevented me from doing much of it. (I'm making progress on that though - I'm dying to go back to Europe.)

8. I was in high school show choir, which involved dancing, even though I'm still so uncoordinated that I can fall over while just standing completely still.

9. I am 30. And still have no idea what I want to be when I grow up but this isn't quite it.

10. I currently have 16 different blogs registered (13 on Blogger, 2 on Wordpress, 1 privately hosted). Of those, 8 have absolutely no content, 4 are from abandoned projects, and 1 is a new project I was excited about a week ago and now I have no idea what I was thinking. The three actually in use are my "real life, sanitized for family and acquaintences" blog, "scream at the world and then move on" blog, and this one. My favorite? This one. By far.

I hope that wasn't too boring. Or random. And that I didn't do it wrong.

Because now I'm totally going to do it wrong. I don't know 7 bloggers that haven't already been awarded. So instead, I'm going to make it a point to give random comment love to 7 bloggers I've never visited before and spread some love that way instead. Hope that's alright!

I may be back later with a very short post. We'll see how the day goes.

13 comments:

angi_b72 said...

great 10 things...you and I are alot alike! Congrtsa on your award!!

University of Iowa Meg said...

Love the awards....and since this is my first time visiting your blog, I get to know 10 things about you :) I loved them!!! Found you thru SITS :) Happy blogging!

The Wife O Riley said...

I am hysterical over #6! But that was their fault! They should have painted on a mole or something!

BTW, I have been married for 13 years and I'm still not sure if I'm ready for kids, and I have 2.

Unknown said...

I hear ya' Cate. I think my parents and their over protective, seriously anal smothering caused me to not really experience much of life. It left me pretty crippled as an adult and when the first major crisis in my life arose (my divorce), my mental functioning went all to shit. Very hard, BUT, like you I try and find the humour in the situation to deal with the demons. And I will not let my past dictate my future. To focus on it too much will give history the attention it no longer deserves. Have a fantastic day. Did I mention I was a whore also? And I'm not ready for kids, either...I should've thought of that BEFORE I had some I guess;)

Annelie said...

Fabulous Cate! I love it!
The list is hilarious, and I couldn't agree more on 3 & 9. Happy Weekend!

It's not the rules that matter, so there is no way you could do it wrong :)

Call Me Cate said...

Angie - did your brother also have a hamster named Ben? That Ben was nothing but trouble.

Chitown Meg - thanks for stopping by! I'll be checking your blog very soon.

Wife O Riley - I renumbered these from my original draft and #6 was the hamster. I'm thinking, what good would it do to put a mole on a hamster?

Andrea - in the few productive moments I had in therapy, it definitely became clear to me that my folks are the root of my anxiety issues. All we can do is move along as adults and make our own choices.

A - glad I didn't do it wrong. It was fun, thanks again!

Essentially Me said...

16 different blogs?!?! Wow! I thought my 5 were a lot. I only write on the one I have and occasionally another of the five. But 16???

Thanks for stopping by, by the way.

Call Me Cate said...

Essentially Me - yeah, 16. It's ridiculous, especially the completely empty ones. I had plans... Now I just feel greedy.

Lyndsay said...

Cate - What a great list. Your "msking up stories" comment reminds me of this girl who I went to elementary school. She tried to convince me for years that she and her father swam under an island, from one side to another. Sigh. Uh, huh, LOL.

If your current list is this entertaining, I'm certainly looking forward to additional Sunday confessions!

C and C Mommy said...

Interesting 10 things.....they made me laugh.

Thanks for visiting my site. I am looking forward to reading more of your posts.

Call Me Cate said...

Lyndsay - Wow, swam UNDER an island? That's impressive. You were just jealous that she was cooler than you.

C and C Mommy - Thanks for passing through!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Nothing wrong with still trying to figure out what we want to be when we grow up, even at 30! As long as "when I grow up" isn't past tense, there's plenty of time to think about it.

Call Me Cate said...

Thanks! I've decided I'll grow up when I'm 40. Maybe. I can't solidly commit to that. Thanks for saying hello!