STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, January 01, 2009

Resolutions for 2009

Today, the obligatory resolutions for 2009.

In 2009, I plan to:
  • Gain 15 pounds
    • Give up exercising completely
    • Eat anything I want
  • Spend too much money
  • Curse like a pirate (the only sailor I know doesn't curse)
Bet I could keep those! Or, maybe reverse psychology, since I never manage to keep my resolutions, I could do the opposite. Instead, I think I'll go with the ones below...

  • Be 17% nicer.
  • Be 22% tougher when it comes to standing up for myself.
Yes, those sound like they have the potential to conflict with each other. I'll just have to be nice in my firmness. Joe had the pleasure of working with a very wise and wonderful man at his last job. Unfortunately his life was ended much too soon but he's truly one of those folks that touched everyone he came in contact with. He had this special gift of totally going off about a situation and then throwing a nice little end-cap on when he finished: "...in the nicest possible way." So that shall be my mantra. I'll be kicking ass and taking names.... in the nicest possible way.
  • Continue making progress on anxiety issues.
Last year, my anxiety really came to a head and I finally took action. This year, I need to continue taking steps forward. Joe's support, along with the Lexapro, really made such a difference.
  • Work towards better health.
This one mostly pertains to my physical condition. While the Lexapro has made a marked improvement in my mental state, it took a toll physically. I had a rough first month or so while my body adapted to the medication - headaches, nausea, then about 4 wks of horrid lethargy. That knocked me completely off my workout routine, plus weight gain associated with the med itself, plus the holidays, plus some "pity me" eating, plus the weather... I need to knock off about 25 extra pounds and also get back to running. Lucky for you, I'll be posting my detailed weekly accountability updates for this elsewhere.
  • Support Joe as he supports me.
Joe has been my rock in everything I've been through since we met. And I do my best to be there for him. There are some career things on the horizon, plus a project I'm helping him with that we're hoping works toward a long-term career thing.
  • Consistent writing/blogging.
This is one of those with a million sub-lists that I'll spare you. But in the past few months, I feel like I've learned a lot and I'm excited about blogging in 2009. I've even got a few ideas up my sleeve!

So that's it. Believe it or not, I tried to keep it short. But this is one of those posts that's as much for me as it is for anyone else. I want to look back on it frequently and hold myself accountable.

May 2009 be good to all of us and all of ours!

16 comments:

The Wife O Riley said...

Those are some excellent resolutions. I haven't thought about mine yet. It will probably be the diet/exercise thing and I should probably curb my swearing. I have the worst mouth imaginable.

Good Luck, you can do it!

Lyndsay said...

What fantabulous resolutions. I (of course) can identify with quite a few. Besides the swearing, I need to keep the swearing ... sometimes other words just won't do.

After our company leaves today, I need to work on my obligatory New Years post.

Call Me Cate said...

Wife O Riley - My mouth isn't horrible but I definitely get going at times. If people would quit pissing me off so often, it would be a lot easier!

Lyndsay - I agree that sometimes other words don't suffice. But sometimes they do, so those are the ones I should curb a bit. I look at it as a vocab challenge that will benefit my writing!

Anonymous said...

Bu ... bu .. but, I liked the first 3! Let's gain those 15 lbs. together, c'mon!

Call Me Cate said...

You are such an enabler.

Annelie said...

Love the resolutions! Seems we want to work on a lot of similar things in 2009. Perhaps I should just cut & past your list, change the names, and then be done with it... :)

Regarding the swearing, I totally agree with you guys; sometimes other words just won't do, but my mouth really has taken things to a whole new level, and I bet I could put even the worst potty mouth to shame. I really should work on that...

Call Me Cate said...

A - You don't need to change names if you would rather not. I'm sure Joe would be thrilled with some additional support. ;)

Maddness of Me said...

If you gain 15 pounds, I will gain 15 pounds. I know together we can do it!

Anonymous said...

Lexapro=My Best Friend.

Happy New Year!

Call Me Cate said...

Kimberly - So many people willing to support a gain but not a loss. ;)

Yaya - Joe once referred to "Lexie" as my hired help. Works for me!

Country Mouse, City Mouse said...

Happy New Year, and great resolutions. I have none, just planning on getting through one day at a time.

Pam

Call Me Cate said...

Pam - one day at a time is a good way to do it, I think. That's how I made it through Dec with even a shred of sanity. Thanks for stopping by and I look forward to checking out your blog tomorrow.

cw2smom said...

Wishing you a wonderful 2009! Blessings, Lisa

Call Me Cate said...

Wishing the same for you as well, Lisa.

Anonymous said...

Awesome resolutions!

I have realized I never keep my resolutions.

This year, I have decided to take it month by month and see if I get any of them accomplished.

We will see.

Call Me Cate said...

suprina - My main issue is accountability. In 2007, I did a fabulous job with resolutions, in part because I posted weekly plans and then weekly reports in another blog. In 2008, I didn't do that and I failed. This year, back to the reports. Month by month seems like a great way to proceed. Good luck!