STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Friday, January 02, 2009

I have some choice words for you

So the lovely Beth posted a few days ago about a "Word of the Year". The idea is to pick a word to inspire you and guide you throughout the 2009.

My immediate reaction was to choose:

But then, like everything else in life, I had trouble committing to that and instead spent the last two days thinking it to death. In meditation, it is also suggested that you have a mantra or word and I've never settled on one that works for me. I've tried on many but none seemed quite comfortable.

Until now.

Focus will be my word for 2009 and my meditation mantra. I can apply it in so many ways.
  • Focus my energies throughout my unstructured day in order to improve efficiency. So much time to accomplish things and somehow I never do.
  • Focus on following through on ideas. All the ideas in the world do me no good without putting them to action.
  • Focus on the what is important and what is within my control. Then, in the words of the wise Wife O Riley, Recognize, Embrace, and Release the others.
I posted my resolutions yesterday but it occurred to me overnight that the real way to succeed with those goals is to focus. Starting now.

Focus also seems like a great meditation word. I'll try that on for size tonight but I feel confident.

My next post will have nothing to do with the holidays. Promise!

12 comments:

Annelie said...

Great word Cate!

I really should start meditating... I've been meaning to for quite some time. Any advice?

Call Me Cate said...

I'm not very good at it but even in my "not goodness", I've found it to be helpful at times. I downloaded a bunch of free podcasts to my iPod and that's what I've been using. It's been awhile though so I plan to start that back up soon.

angi_b72 said...

Great word!!

Grand Pooba said...

Hey, I'm still posting about the holidays too. I think my word for 2009 would be FINISH because I never finish one thing before I move on to the next and that gets me a whole lotta nuthin!

Annelie said...

Cate, I have an award for you!

Cheers to your awesomeness!

Call Me Cate said...

Angie - thanks!

Grand Pooba - Finish would be a good word for me too. So many projects started and abandoned for "someday".

A - woohoo! I shall collect it tonight or tomorrow, thanks!

Lyndsay said...

I think that FOCUS sounds divine! In fact, it's too daunting of a word for me. If I could accomplish focus, I am pretty certain that a number of other wayward habits would suddenly be rectified. I'm just not willing to work that hard in '09!

Unknown said...

That is an excellent choice in words!

The Wife O Riley said...

I just had to Recognize, Embrace and Release when I realized I posted that last comment on my husband's account. So the comment from My Side of the Story is from me.

Tabitha Blue said...

LOVE LOVE LOVE it, FOCUS, great word! I might just use that one too!

:)
~Tabitha~

freshmommyblog.com

Call Me Cate said...

Lyndsay - Don't scare me! "Focus" is supposed to make things easier! The last thing I want to do is work hard.

Wife O Riley - Too funny. I do love your 3-word mantra though. Hopefully between that and "Focus" I'll take 2009 by storm!

Tabitha - Nope, sorry, you can't use it. I have dibs. :P

holymotherofgod said...

Mine is RELEASE. I wrote it on my mirror a few weeks ago; prior to that in 2007-2008 I had DETERMINATION and PERSEVERENCE written on my bathroom mirror so I saw it every day. I love love LOVE inspirational words and vision boards!