STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, January 06, 2009

Grab your popcorn!

Note: I feel like I'm overblogging. Twice a day for the past two days. But the Inauguration tour and award were sorta housekeeping things and then this is an actual post. And none of it's that interesting so I guess what I'm saying is "I'm sorry".

I'm no Siskel or Ebert. Or even SnarkyA for that matter. But every so often a movie really impresss me (for good or bad) and I feel the need to share it.

This weekend, Joe desperately wanted to see a movie. I should probably just break it to him that we can make popcorn at home and it will be cheaper and fresher. Anyways, nothing really looked good so we chose based on reviews. What a fortunate decision!

Slumdog Millionaire is made of awesome. It's been nominated for Best Picture, which I don't generally care about, except that in this case it actually deserving of the honor.

Without giving too much away, the basic plot is this: Jamal, who grew up with his brother and a friend in the slums of Mumbai, goes on the Hindi version of Who Wants To Be A Millionaire. When he progresses all the way to the next to last question, the show breaks taping for the night. He is then taken in for police interrogation and accused of cheating. He explains, question by question, how he knew the answer based on an event from his life.

Even though much of the story occurs under impoverished conditions, it is a beautiful film to watch, full of bright colors and music. The story is fascinating, full of action and humor but at times also very heart-wrenching. The child actors portraying the three main characters at different stages of the story all do a fabulous job.

So, yes, I'm urging everyone to go see this movie. I wouldn't normally bother except that it's not being advertised much and I feel like more people should really see it. It's not playing in many major theatres - you'll more likely find it in independent "arty" theatres but it's well worth seeking it out or at least remembering to rent it when it's released on DVD.

There, a semi-serious post for a change. Mostly unrelated to food (blame Joe!), holidays, or my spazziness. Don't worry, I'll likely be back in full spaz mode tomorrow. Yay?

19 comments:

Lyndsay said...

But a worthwhile post nonetheless ... I actually feel compelled to watch it and it sounds like a movie I'd totally enjoy, yet I have never heard of it.

Yay!

C. Beth said...

I'd really like to see it. I'd heard how good it was but knew nothing of the plot until I read this. Will probably wait for DVD (just because of kiddos.) Thanks!

Annelie said...

It's such a great movie! I'm glad that you like it.

Anonymous said...

Sounds very interesting.

Call Me Cate said...

Seriously, it's the best movie I've seen since... Love Actually. Only, completely different from that. And made of win. I'm on a crusade to make everyone see it.

Michelle said...

My MIL got me a real-life popcorn maker. I've used it every day since and now know all the employees at Blockbuster on a first-name basis.

Unknown said...

If I eat too much popcorn I'll miss half the movie...let's allow your imagination to ponder the reasoning behind that one. I will have to check out that movie. Sounds like a nice change from...nothing. I never have time to watch a movie. Crap. Hope your soup doesn't suck too much. Did you like the hippo thing-y? That'll help with appetite suppressing...for shiz.

Call Me Cate said...

Michelle - we usually just buy the bags and pop those. If Joe had a REAL popcorn machine, it would be a bad thing somehow.

Andrea - still surviving the soup. I will admit I didn't click the hippo thing-y. I was too afraid.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I agree totally! I tagged along with my brother just to spend time with him over the holidays - would never have chosen to see this, but WOW! I'm so glad I did - one of the best movies I've seen in years.

Call Me Cate said...

I haven't talked to many people who have seen this - but the few that have LOVED it.

University of Iowa Meg said...

Yo! Thanx for your comment. YES- isn't that the best when you catch the cat right before they throw up so you can move them to a hard surface??? Glad to know I'm not the only one :) Luckily this time Emma actually just threw up in the kitchen, so there wasn't any need to move her at all!

The Wife O Riley said...

There is always one movie that gets nominated that I see. Based on your review, this will probably be the one.

Grand Pooba said...

wha? I've never heard of that movie?

I'm gonna go pop popcorn right now. Who needs a movie for an excuse to eat popcorn?

Call Me Cate said...

Meg - My Tonya used to actually go to the litter box to be sick. Those were the days...

Wife O Riley - no idea what else is or will be nominated but this one gets my vote.

Grand Pooba - yeah, no need for an excuse but I usually come up with one anyways. Like "it's Tuesday, must be time for popcorn!".

http://theheirtoblair.com said...

I love, love stale movie popcorn. Guilty.

Call Me Cate said...

Blair - I only eat stale popcorn when I paid $8 for it at the theatre. Though I've also been known to go back and request/demand fresh. Thanks for stopping by!

beckiwithani said...

Slumdog Millionaire was is one of the best I've seen in a long time. A feel-good movie that my husband and I both loved, and that I could recommend to my conservative parents and my liberal coworkers alike.

Call Me Cate said...

Becki - you're exactly right about the wide appeal. I think Love Actually is fabulous but I could never recommend it to my ultra-conservative parents. This really does work for a broad range of people.

Anonymous said...

These are in fact impressiνe iԁeas in
about bloggіng. You hаνe touсheԁ some
fastidiouѕ points hеre. Any way keeр up wгinting.


Alѕo visit mу weblog locate a bucket truck
Also see my page: bucket trucks