STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Your Christmas tree is a traitor

Question: What do your Christmas tree and Judas have in common?
Answer: They will both betray you!

It is my strong belief that Christmas trees are a burglar's best friend when it comes to researching when to break into a home. And believe me, I gave it a LOT of thought on Monday night when I was having trouble sleeping.

What, no lights on tonight? That sends a strong signal that the home is unoccupied this evening.

Lights on? Probably home. Oooh, the lights just went off? They're probably now asleep in their beds! Sleeping and vulnerable!

Surely I can't be the only one who thinks this.

Or at least not anymore since I've planted the idea in your mind.

Bwahahahaha...

8 comments:

Cindy said...

I'm sure I've thought of it before. That's probably why I'm in the terrible habit of leaving the Christmas tree lights on 24 hours a day. I push the thoughts of my house burning to the ground aside. Mostly.

Eternal Lizdom said...

Given that we forget to turn the tree on at least half the nights that we are home... and the nights we do remember, I prefer to leave it on all night because it looks pretty in the window with out outside lights... and because our home is specifically designed with careful placement of large amounts of clutter, toys, trash, dirty dishes, piles of laundry, and more, I'm certain we'd be well warned of anyone breaking in because they are destiend to fall, step on something, bump into something, trip over something. Or they'd open the door, see the chaos, and assume someone had already been there and ransacked the place.

Anonymous said...

You know, I never even thought of that. Hmph!!

S~DLT said...

We go with an thing my grandparents were very fond of. A timer. We just preset the time (sunset) and then choose a late enough hour that we won't irritate our neighbors.

Juniper Saltus said...

Lucky for us, we have no Christmas tree.

Take that would-be-burglars.

Toni said...

That doesn't affect me. The Christmas season doesn't last long enough for me so I choose to prolong it by leaving the lights burning 24 hrs. :) Hehe.

C. Beth said...

This has been my MO ever since I became a cat burglar. Thanks a lot for ruining it for me. Now everyone knows.

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Christmas tree lights go off, but kitchen light and living room lamp stay on. Always.
~M