STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Friday, December 18, 2009

Papa

Fourteen years ago today, my grandfather passed away. He had been sick for many many years and finally he was sick no more.

Papa died just after midnight, Monday morning. On Sunday night, our church had their annual Christmas music service where members of the congregation performed special numbers and we all sang Christmas hymns. My dad sang "O Holy Night", a Christmas tradition. He hasn't been able to sing it since.

But on the more upbeat side, my Grampa was a riot. Big gruff-looking dude and he put on such a growly front. But that man was SUCH a puppy. Especially when it came to me, the oldest grandchild.

For years, we had a every-other-Saturday-morning breakfast tradition. Either I would spend the night with my grandparents or he'd come pick me up in his big red truck but without fail, we would go to McDonald's for breakfast. Just Grampa and me. And some pancakes.

We also camped and fished a lot when I was younger. So many memories of camping and hanging out around the fire. Cruising around the lake at ridiculous speeds - or so it felt to a little girl with pigtails.

I'm grateful that Joe was able to meet Grampa; we began dating in May of that year and of course it took a bit to reach the stage where the boyfriend was running into extended family. Grampa called him "Fuzznuts". I don't want to know why. There probably wasn't a why - that's just how Grampa rolled.

So here's to you, Grampa. You crazy ole bastard. I'm glad you were in my life for as long as you were and yet I really wish you were around for me to know you as an adult. I have a feeling that what I saw as a kid and teen barely scratched the surface.

P.S. Sorry if today's post is a bit of a downer. I actually wrote three other posts but this is what's on my mind. And, well, it's my blog. Come back for Six Word Saturday tomorrow if you're in need of something lighter.

11 comments:

C. Beth said...

I think it's a beautiful tribute. Not even really a downer; you captured his spirit here.

Becca said...

What a beautiful tribute to your grandfather, and at this time of year, it gave me chills, but in a good way.

Cherish your memories and pass them on.

Margaret said...

He sounds like a great man!

Anonymous said...

He sounds like a lovely man. Thank you for sharing your memories. x

Gamma Sharon said...

Not a downer, wonderful memories. My heart goes out to you!

2cats said...

You're right it is your blog. But this was beautiful. I am glad that you had such a fine man in your life.

betty said...

what a lovely tribute to Papa. I love how he would take the time to spend with you on the weekends as special time between you and him; what a wonderful legacy he left behind

O Holy Night is my favorite Christmas carol; I hope your dad can sing it one day again

thanks for sharing Papa with us

betty

blognut said...

I don't think this was a downer post at all. I think it's beautiful and it's perfectly all right to miss your Grandpa. It sounds like he was a wonderful man.

Lisa said...

Nothing like a special GP to warm our hearts and change our lives. I had Nana and her mom Granny. Those two women helped to shape me. My whole life I was loved, and they only enriched and enhanced that love. So let's raise a glass to the GP's who made a difference and made us better people. To Nana, Granny, and Papa. You People Still So Rock!
Cheers. Lisa :)

Megan said...

Grandpa's are such special people and I think especially to a lot of little granddaughters. What happy memories you have that you can keep with you always. =) Thank you for sharing him with us.

Kristan said...

Actually I didn't think this was a downer at all!

"Grampa called him "Fuzznuts". I don't want to know why. There probably wasn't a why - that's just how Grampa rolled."

I mean seriously, who didn't laugh at that? :P