STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Friday, December 25, 2009

A Typical Cate-mas

Since I figure most everyone else is out and about doing their holiday* things, I'm just going to give you a quick peek into a typical Christmas at the House o' Cate.

First, we sleep in. Which for me might mean all of 8am this year if I'm lucky. Then we shower, dress, hair and make-up (for me, Joe's beauty is more au naturel), and then head downstairs.

Next, time for special Christmas breakfast. I consider this part of my gift to Joe because I'm not a huge eater of the breakfast but he absolutely loves it. This year, we'll be having Cranberry French Toast with Cranberry Syrup. Also, coffee and turkey bacon.

Then, finally it will be time for gifts. It could be as late as 11am by now. Which also is about the time my parents will call. At this point they've been up for hours, opened all of their gifts, had breakfast, and they're within an hour or so of putting their big Christmas meal on the table. Me, I haven't even opened their gifts yet. Sorry, I'll call back later!

NOW we'll open our gifts. We take our time, one for Joe, one for me. Sometimes, one for kitties. This year, they have four gifts: a bag of fishy treats, a ball with a feathery thing in it, a scratchy mat, and a solar-powered crystal that spins in the window when the sun shines on it which is really more for me but sometimes the cats also like to chase it. We also spend a lot of time throwing bows and ribbons and papers at the cats.

Later, we throw dinner in the oven. Today, prime rib roast w/ red wine gravy, mashed potatoes, rolls, yams, deviled eggs, and my French onion soup. Yeah, for two people. For dessert, Joe picked out eggnog cupcakes which Beth cursed just because she doesn't like eggnog so while they're tasty, the frosting never really stiffened up.

Eventually we resort to getting the cats high on catnip while we drink too much wine or bourbon or whatever else is around before falling asleep midway through a movie.

Isn't Christmas exciting with no children and a family who lives not nearly far enough far away?

I hope you all have a fabulous December 25th, whatever it is you are doing.




*I'm so politically correct I could totally barf all over my "registered independent" voter registration.

10 comments:

C. Beth said...

That sounds awesome.

Can I just tell you how totally touched I am to be mentioned in such an important post? And in such a flattering way too. ;)

Becca said...

Merry Christmas from our very quiet house. We are just now making breakfast. It is just the two of us, and that is ok.

Lisa said...

Sounds entirely wonderful and filled with many blessings. My mom always says if she believed in reincarnation she would want to come back as one of her own cats. I am thinking you might be a Mecca for reincarnated souls as well. Merry Christmas and a Blessed New Year.

betty said...

sounds like a wonderful way to spend a day! it sounds like you and Joe have made your own traditions and it works perfectly fine for you (and it sounds very nice; love the dinner menu :)

Merry Christmas

betty

2cats said...

It soundslike a perfect way to spend Christmas . One adult today acted like a child because there was too much tape on the package. Actually threw a tantrum. Another adult acted like an ass because no one laughed at his not-funny jokes. I think next year I will go somewhere by myself.
My cats a immune to cat nip. Are they strange or what?

Beth in NEPA said...

We spent out day a lot like you do. Not all that bad!!

Anonymous said...

What a beautiful and perfect way to spend Christmas!

Anonymous said...

What? No Elvis Christmas music???

Autumn said...

Next time add a tablespoon of Meringue powder to the icing. It'll stiffen up. Or use Crisco instead of butter (you can do butter flavored, it helps stiffen it up too)

Autumn said...

I want family traditions and Christmas in my own house to be perfectly honest. I'm hoping the move to NY state will help with that, because my family will be far enough away that a drive down will be a big trip at that point. I love my mom and sisters but sheesh, I wish I had holidays to myself and in the same breath am thankful for the ones I have spent with them