STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Sunday, September 20, 2009

If you want something done...

Today's post is super-late.  And I'm going to use it for a bit of a rant. Thanks in advance for either indulging me or clicking the back button.

Joe and I are on a committee together at church (don't ask about church, that's a whole OTHER post because they don't seem so much interested in us as they are our checkbooks and so we don't show up very often and nobody ever contacts us to see how we're doing but you can be damn sure we'll get a reminder that our financial pledge is outstanding). It's the Green Committee, formed about two years ago.

Here's how the committee works. Joe agreed to co-chair with Fred, since Joe doesn't really have as much time to commit as he felt was necessary. Fred shows up to about half the meetings, doesn't let Joe know that, nothing. I ended up with the position of secretary because I nicely volunteered.

When we actually have a meeting, it doesn't matter if 2 people show up or if 30 people show up, it always turns out the same. Ideas are discussed. Great ideas are suggested. Then we ask who would like to follow-up on that idea.

Anyone?

Anyone?

Bueller?

I take the notes and mark that Joe will follow-up. Or I will follow-up. We had a meeting today and of 10 action items to come out of the meeting, every single one is marked with either my name or Joe's next to it.

WTH, people? Is your life so damn busy you can't commit to a bit of research? A phone call? Because I can tell you that Joe's life is WAY busy but you happily let everything fall to him. I had no idea being co-chair meant doer of everything.

I guess it shouldn't be a surprise that we can't get the actual church to cooperate (eww, no, you can NOT put recycle bins there, they aren't pretty enough) when our own committee members can't be bothered.

And where's Fred? Slacker.

Yeah, I'm done ranting now. Thanks.

P.S. I'm beginning to think the fat lip I came home with after my endoscopy is not so much a fat lip as it is nerve damage to my lower lip. Awesome. Let's add that to the list of crap to deal with, huh? Right behind researching cellphone donation and adopt-a-stream, and don't forget that your pledge for 2009 is outstanding - feel free to increase the amount if you like, you can afford it!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

how are we supposed to go to hell together if you volunteer @ church?

but it sounds like they all need a punch in the face.

isn't it time for the "punch in the face" award distribution?

just a suggestion;)

andy

p.s. i'd also save one for the nimrod who put the tube down your pie hole.

Matty said...

Sadly, too many church members are like this. Fortunately, ours step up to the plate. I feel for ya.

jabblog said...

. . . and if you don't 'do it', who will? Where is your pastor/minister/priest/vicar/elder in all this?
Where is your 'faith community'? ~looks as though you and yours are ploughing a lonely furrow and I'm sad for you . . .

Betty W said...

I´m sorry you have to make such an experience with your church. Sounds frustrating!

Unknown said...

Oh do I ever know this lament..people are more willing to open their checkbooks than their datebooks..

Or this..I do all the grunt work and nuts and bolts stuff and someone very vocal does the PR..and that's all..come recognition time who gets the accolades?

I understand that I don't do the work for the praise but it frosts my cake just the same.

Peace - Rene

blognut said...

Heh! That'll teach you to volunteer!

Melissa B. said...

I often play the Ben Stein "Bueller" role in my classroom. Makes for a deadly day, I'd say. And you know the old maxim about too many cooks? I'd rather do it myself!

Drahdrah said...

Sounds like you have alot on your plate right now. I hope the week brings some relief and positive additions to your load !

betty said...

honestly, I would start looking for another church if you were inclined to trying to go to church; I know church is made up of people and I know people are not perfect, but it always rubs me the wrong way if they put money over relationship with each other and especially relationship with God

sorry about your lip; hoping it recovers quickly

betty

mo.stoneskin said...

Back, back, back! The damn back button isn't responding. Grrr.

I did read once that in a church 20 percent do 80 percent of the work.

silver star said...

The impression I've received on various committee's, especially the church ones, was exactly like you explained it. Sorry you and Joe got stuck in that. I'm also sorry about your lip.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Some people pay good money to look like they got punched in the lip. Maybe that's why the church people assume you can afford to give more - didn't you just have plastic surgery?

On a serious note, I hope your lip will indeed get back to normal. Nerve damage?! What did they do to you while you were out? Unbelievable.