STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Don't mock my dreams

A while back, I went to the library. The book I wanted had finally come in. Within ten minutes of receiving the notification email, I was at their desk to pick it up. I wasn't taking any chances that they'd give it away!

However, I arrived so quickly that they had trouble locating it. While they searched, I picked up a few more books making my final selection three books about blogging and one fiction novel.
Librarian: You starting a blog?
me: I already have one.
Librarian: Oh, then why all the books?
me: I'm working towards world domination.
She gave me quite the look, like perhaps I was from the moon. Finally, she recovered.
Librarian: I saw Julie & Julia this weekend, the movie about the lady with the cooking blog.
me: Exactly! If she can have a movie, why not me?
Librarian: Have a nice day.
Why is it that our dreams make people uncomfortable? That kind of skepticism is what's kept me from pursuing so many of my dreams.

So what if the odds are stacked against us? So what if chances are slim we'll make it? Shouldn't we at least go down trying at something that interests us instead of playing it safe?

I wanted a career in marketing or public relations or writing. Instead, I let myself be talked into the safe bet - computer science. Results? A well-paying job that I dislike and it sucks my soul. A feeling that I missed out on something I should've at least tried at before admitting defeat.

All of my life, people have looked at me the same way as that librarian. People who should believe in me instead of contemplating a call to the guys in the white coats while willing me to pick the sensible route, choose the sure thing.

I'm tired of it. Screw that. I've gone that road for the last 10 years and I've had enough. Hence the recent brainstorming and talk of original ideas. I may fail but I'm going to at least to try to figure out what I want to be when I grow up. I'm going to make an attempt.

And you can all either laugh when I fall on my face or tell people you "knew me back when" when you see me rolling my eyes at Kathie Lee behind her back on Today.

21 comments:

Anonymous said...

GO CATE!

TMC said...

Firstly, I'm confident that you'd do better than the 9th hour of TODAY.

Secondish, I think people look at us weird when we mention our dreams because they don't see that it's a 1,000 small steps that get us to where we want to be.

You've got my support!

Annelie said...

I'm really happy for you! Going after your dreams is hard, and takes guts. You will do brilliantly!

kim said...

Cate, when I read your blog I very easily see book deals and success. The librarian probably gave you the reaction she did because she's asking herself everyday how she came to work in a library when all she's ever wanted to do is run her own business..she just never took the steps to accomplish it and now she's resentful that you're trying.... you're already successful :)

Anonymous said...

Go for it my friend. And then go back to that librarian and tell her what she can do with her snarky look.

Toni said...

Absolutely follow your dreams! Who cares what other people think!

(btw, I'm going to write a book someday!) :)

SparkleFarkel said...

There's a rumor circulating that in general librarians find bloggers to be intimidating and when Julia Child is mentioned, they bristle at the thought of a wigged Dan Ackroyd bleeding all over the place. I say screw 'em, follow your dreams!

C. Beth said...

Awesome. I'm so glad you're determined to try to do something more...succeed or fail (or more likely a combo of both since that tends to be how life works), living passionately is an exciting thing.

mo.stoneskin said...

I believe in you, and as an IT guy I can relate. Although I'm a little bit worried about this world domination thing, I thought we were on the same team? If you are The Brain can I be Pinky?

SPEAKING FROM THE CRIB said...

everyone out there who is successful started with a dream so believe in yourself and in your dream and keep striving towards it. whether you ever make it or not, at least you know you went for it

betty said...

I believe in you; I believe you will succeed in what you attempt to do; good luck with it!!

betty

Call Me Cate said...

And yet still nobody wants to give me their million dollar idea... So much support and no handouts. What's the deal? ;)

Unknown said...

please forward our partnership agreement re: world domination.

if i'm saving you a seat on the bus to hell it's the least you can do.

love andrea:)

quilly said...

In college, just short of graduation, I sold my first short story and won a major regional writing contest. I was ready to change my major and pursue writing. I let my friends talk me out of it. A job is a sure thing. Writing isn't.

So, here I am 15 years later trying to resurrect a dream. I am currently chipping the rust off my writing skills. It has been so long since I've written any fiction, I don't know how to plot ....

Anonymous said...

cate, you totally inspire me
rock on

Debbi said...

with this many comments, you've obviously been reading those world domination books! ;)

You are AMAZIN, hun. Keep those dreams coming!

Secretia Teller said...

Blog on, blog, on. it's good for you in a lot of ways. Have your dream become real now!

Secretia

InspiredDreamer said...

You can do it. It's my dream as well, and you know what I've realized? There's plenty of people out there making money writing who are nowhere near as good at it as either of us. I say we both go for it! :D

blognut said...

I believe in you, Cate. You will totally get to roll your eyes at Kathie Lee on the TODAY show.

Unknown said...

I think it's complacent people that tend to shoot down everyone else's dreams... because if YOU can dream, then why can't they? And dreaming scares the shit out of them.
So whenever they try to shoot you down, just try to remember how much more courageous you are than them, and how badly they want to be you!!!
And it wouldn't surprise me if we were saying that we knew you back when...

Sassy Britches said...

You can't see me, but I'm shooting you the "victory" sign.