STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Kiss me, I'm Irish!

No, really I am!  Kinda sorta!

Joe's heritage is half English, half Irish.  Since the English half is his mother's side and he doesn't associate much with them anyways, he fully embraces his Irish roots.  We've actually been to visit some of his relatives in Western Ireland and saw the little cottage his grandfather was born in.  Then last year  he applied for and was granted his Irish citizenship.  So if you ask Joe, he's Irish.

And if you don't ask Joe, all you have to do is see how red his cheeks become when he's drunk, embarassed or angry.

My own heritage is a bit of a question mark.  On my father's side, I come from a long line of loose women.  Haha, no I did NOT just call my Grandmother a ho!  But if you go back to my dad's father, we're not exactly sure what his paternal situation might've been.  The supposed story is that his mother became pregnant by one guy, married another, and then her husband never officially adoped him but somehow we ended up with his crackpot Lithuanian last name anyways.  As for countries of origin?  I've been told English, Irish, Scottish, Polish, American Indian, French...  

Here's what I figure.  My family doesn't even speak to or about the living members (this despite the fact that they all live within twenty miles of each other).  Trying to find out the facts about the dearly departed?  It's just not going to happen.  I've tried.  This means I am free to choose the heritage I want so I'll go along with Joe and say I'm Irish.

Another reason I choose Ireland is because I really love it there.  We've visted twice - once to the extremely rural west near Knock and once to Dublin (with a day trip to Galway).  We even visited St. Patrick's Cathedral on that last trip.  And Ireland is so beautiful and so lively.  

Plus, hey, Guinness!  And Baileys!  Seriously, what's not to love?

So I choose to be Irish.  It's not a lie because I do believe it's in my background somewhere.  And it's not just "everybody's Irish on St. Patrick's Day" because it's my choice always.

I am not, however, wearing green.  Be advised - if you attempt to pinch me, I will succeed at punching you in the face.  The Irish are also known for being a bit quick-tempered.

20 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

Well my ancesters actually are Irish. I see that as an me not actually needing to wear green.

I had a beer over lunch, but not oh-so-lovely Guiness because I didn't have the right change on me.

Call Me Cate said...

mo.stoneskin - there's always dinner for Guinness! Mmm, Guinness...

Peggy said...

Ha! *PINCH!*

TMC said...

Dad's side of the family is all Irish but we've never been there. Culture wasn't too important to my grandparents unless you consider smoking, drinking, gambling and dying early as "culture."

I'm wearing all blue today & am with you on the punching thing. What colour should I wear if I support undoing St. Patrick's mess and moving pagans back into Ireland? :)

Juliet Colors said...

:-*

No Irish in me, I'm afraid. But I'd love to go to Ireland.

Sassy Britches said...

Double-German here, but I adore Ireland as well. Would love to make a second trip there eventually!

Lyndsay said...

I am not wearing green either and I've been pinched twice. I wish I would have been aware that a punch in the face was suitable for a return favor. I will have to try that next.

MJenks said...

One of my Scottish ancestors, Robert of Ormsby, was one of those bastard nobles who rode off the field at Falkirk (see Braveheart) and his people were so upset with him that he had to flee Scotland and set up shop in Ireland. So, yes, I do have some Irish in me; no thank you, I don't want any more.

Call Me Cate said...

Peggy - you're fairly new around here so perhaps you have not yet learned to respect my punching in the face. Be afraid, be very afraid... (kidding! kinda)

TMC - Culture has never been important to my family and not really too much to Joe's. Until Joe himself took an interest. I think orange is the worst color as far as clashing for green so maybe try that?

Juliet - it's so beautiful, I think you'd really like it there.

Sassy Britches - Joe has been 3 times. I'm itching to get back an see Giant's Causeway. We went to Cliffs of Moher last time and couldn't even see the cliffs due to fog.

Lyndsay - you're in HR. Shouldn't they know better than to pinch an HR person? Totally try the punch next time.

blognut - We don't have an O' name but it's undeniably Irish. I'm kinda jealous. And yes, we all know everything now. There are no secrets.

the iNDefatigable mjenks - wow, sounds like your ancestors and mine could've hung out. Only yours were political castouts and mine were just of poor moral fiber.

Unknown said...

we could totally punch each other in the face.

'cause i'm british, and you're irish. that would totally work.

does that mean we have to stop speaking?

i kind of like you.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Your grandmother was loose! Ahaha!

Ireland sounds beautiful.

I doubt anyone will attempt to pinch you - we all know about your tendancy toward punching. ;)

MarjnHomer said...

you could always try those ancestry sites and see what comes up if everyone is tight lipped. I always wanted to know more about my ancestors but they never kept good records of that stuff where I am from, so no luck for me. :-( but you should def try. good luck with the search!

Annelie said...

I couldn't be Irish. Not even for a day. Unfortunately I look freaking TERRIBLE in green.

And I'm totally with you on the face-punching of any and all people who pinch.

Donnetta said...

Totally Irish here.

I've pinched twice today. Once on Pumpkin's booty and once on baby chicklet's booty. But to be fair, they are both too cute to resist!!

Rachel said...

*pinch pinch*

runing away now, but have left you beer. drink up, you will soon forget you are angry at me.

Sassy Britches said...

Ugh, so TRUE! When my mom and I went to the C of M it was totally foggy. We farted around about an hour or so, since we had saved it for the VERY LAST DAY OF THE TRIP and were not to be deterred...and it got better! Not gorgeous postcard better, but enough to see the Aran Islands, so we were happy!

Grand Pooba said...

I too am Irish! But I am the worst Irish person ever, I don't like Guinness (or beer) and I don't like corn beef and cabbage.

BUT I do love Bailey's and green ice cream! Go Irish!

SparkleFarkel said...

Hey, Irish, I just tweeted you to another me at Twitterland! (I'm the one wearing the Wish Mittens.)

Call Me Cate said...

andy - I'm confident we can continue speaking. Sounds like we're just setting up our own fight club. And I'm theoretically part-British. Mostly the part that loves pubs.

RAS - I think I'm the least ho'ish in my family. Except for my sister. I was shocked when she said she was pregnant because I'm like "what, she had sex? with her husband even?!?!".

MarjnHomer - I actually tried one of those sites. I found a bit of info but ran into issues because of common last names and uncertainty about biological parents. I did find out a whole lot about this chick that's buried practically in our backyard though.

Snarky - Too bad about the green. It's one of my best colors.

Donnetta - I think pinching baby booties is fine every day so you're in the clear!

Rachel - Hmm, trading pinches for beer? I'm kinda ok with that!

Sassy Britches - We were on a guided tour and only there for about an hour. Couldn't see a damn thing. The fog was so thick, we were completely soaked from it. Such a disappointment.

Pooba - I like Guinness from time to time but I have no use for corn beef and cabbage. Bailey's and green ice cream (as long as not together) are fabulous though so I say you do just fine!

Sparkle Farkle - gotcha!

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

I have some Irish ancestry, so I am told.
My parents went to Ireland last year, but they'll never go back...and they don't recommend it to anyone! lol I wouldn't mind going, but since I have no intenion of flying anywhere, it's not going to happen.
~M