STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, May 03, 2010

Regret

For those of you who do not follow me obsessively on Twitter, a quick follow-up on this week's Six Word Saturday.

Main Entry: re·gret
Pronunciation: \ri-ˈgret\
Function: noun

1 a sense of loss, disappointment, dissatisfaction
2: a feeling of sorrow or remorse for a fault, act, loss, disappointment

I am going back to school. As in I officially enrolled last night. Not physically back to school because that would involve dealing with other people committing to a campus location, which is a risky idea when Joe may decide to up and leave his job for another position at any given time. So rather than continuing to put my life on hold while I wait for him to figure out his own things, I decided online classes were ideal.

See, back in college, I started out majoring in the PR/Advertising field but the program seriously sucked. Rather than change schools, I changed majors to Computer Science because that's what all the cool smart kids were doing. And by "smart kids" I don't so much mean nerds as I mean those who could see where the money was going to be made. Along the way, I had to take Marketing as a required course (no idea why) and I loved it. I should've gone with my gut.

What does any of this have to do with regret? I find it hard to regret certain decisions in my past because they've worked out well over time. Who's to say that attending a different school would've made a positive difference in my life? I can't call that a regret. But not following my heart? Not listening to that little voice inside that's telling me I need to do something right now? I regret all of the times I've ignored that voice or silenced my heart.

And I won't do it anymore. No more regrets!

12 comments:

Dave said...

You can't be true to yourself if you aren't following your heart....

Good luck!

Betty W said...

Good for you Cate! I hope you enjoy your new studies!

Caty said...

enjoy your new classes! what a challenge :)

Toriz said...

Good luck with your classes.


Online classes is a good idea, since you can do it in the safety and comfort of your own home, and still continue to do it wherever you move to - if you move.

Unknown said...

I am still so very excited for you. It will sure to be a challenge but the payoff will totally be worth your time. Best of luck!

Anonymous said...

OO, I am going back now too! We can be "classmates" since mine are all online as well! Haha!

Annelie said...

Good luck, Cate! You'll do great. I'm so happy for you, deciding to follow your heart. It will surely take you wonderful places. No more regret is right!

TMC said...

huzzah!

Lyndsay said...

Rock on Cate! There is nothing like taking "would be regret" and throwing is on it's ass! (I do have an undergrad marketing degree laying around that I don't use, perhaps I could send it your way ;))

blognut said...

Wow! That's a big decision - good for you!!

Rochelle said...

I'll join you in the "No Regrets" plan! Have fun with your new classes (I'm thinking of taking some online web design classes myself.)

C. Beth said...

Yay! I love that you can remember how much you loved that class, and are acting on it by pursuing that passion. Very cool.