STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Lights Out!

While we were away, my gym sent an email with the title "Gym Name is on the move!". I couldn't actually view the contents of the message but my first thought was - oh no, my gym is moving! And then I laughed and said - that's what they want us to think but I bet the actual message is talking about some new cardio class.

Wrong.

They actually are moving. My gym. The gym I belonged to for several years and finally canceled and then signed back up there specifically because of how familiar it is - the location, the equipment, the layout. Plus, they have a "darkroom" - a room full of cardio equipment and very low lighting. It's like exercising completely in private, nobody looking at what might be jiggling or sweating or falling off her treadmill.

Given my aversion to change, I went immediately to the ledge and started thinking about going over. But then I reminded myself - different does not automatically equal bad.

The new location is actually twice as large. Parking is ample (parking seemed like a workout of its own at the old building). There is now a pool and an inside track and basketball courts. And even though it's several miles from the old address, it's probably a bit more convenient for me whether I'm coming from work or home. Total score, right?

So tonight, Joe's going with me to check out the new digs. Safety in numbers. And all day, until that time, I'll be hoping like mad that they've recreated my dark room. Because all of the space and amenities and added facilities doesn't count if the lights are on. It's about conserving electricity. It's about preserving sanity. It's about not observing me.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

A dark room!? I feel like every gym should have one of those...what a great idea!

Unknown said...

A dark room, that is awesome! If they don't have a dark room at the new location you should request they consider adding one. It would actually be a selling point for them because a lot of people would be more comfortable working out if they were not on display while doing so.

Caty said...

My gym went bankrupt a few months ago all of a sudden. I showed up one day(had just been the morning before) and there were bars on the door and a foreclosure sign!....so I went to the Y. More expensive, but great classes, great equipment and a pool...and I know they'll be around for awhile! Enjoy your new gym!

Traci said...

Wow, a dark room sounds cool. You'll have to post to let us know how it went. I love safety in numbers. :) My gym changed owners and moved too. I still miss somethings about the old one, but the newer one has other things that I love too. Just an adjustment. Then the new gym will feel like your safe place.

MJenks said...

I think I would actually work out more (or ever) if I could do it in the dark. Screw being diurnal.

C. Beth said...

I want the indoor track!!!!

Doreen McGettigan said...

I hope you find the dark spot!

TMC said...

fuss fuss fuss!

Sassy Britches said...

So? Did they have it? I think it's ingenius! Spill it!

mo.stoneskin said...

I got confused, I thought the email was suggesting that the gym's name was changing. Now THAT would be confusing if it moved and its name moved.

Toriz said...

Hope the new gym location is as good as - or better than - the old one. :)