STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, April 01, 2010

First Fursday: Prevention of Animal Cruelty Month

Rusty here! Tonya's napping so I actually have a shot at posting for the first time in a couple of months. On this First Fursday, since my humans are away on a much-needed vacation, I wanted to take an opportunity to share with you about a cause near to my heart.

April is Prevention of Animal Cruelty Month.

I think it's important to use my fame here on long-haired human's blog to raise awareness about animal cruelty. My humans are very good to me - regular vet check-ups, special medical attention when needed, food, water, shelter, and lots of love.

But not all kitties have it so easy. Remember when I told you how sad I was for Duncan? Some would argue that even though he was fed regularly, the lack of proper care and being forced to live outside all winter was abusive.

Some people hit their pets. Some just ignore them because they're too much trouble. Some don't provide trips to the doctor or training to keep them out of trouble. Some abandon them for whatever reason, like I was abandoned. It makes me very sad in my purr-parts. Even Tonya was the result of a teen-kitty pregnancy resulting from abandoned cats that had not been spayed or neutered.

Because this is also important to my humans, they have decided to donate $1 for every comment left on this post between now and when they return home from their trip on April 10, up to $250. They will make their donation through PetSmart Charities due to their 4-star Charity Navigator rating. 89¢ of every dollar goes to animal welfare agencies that need funding. If you'd like to make a donation of your own, be sure to check out their site. On a side note, my humans first met me at a PetSmart adopt-a-thon.

I know today is April Fools Day but cruelty to animals is no joke, people. Please be good to your fur freaks and consider supporting your local shelters and humane societies as they help take care of the other animals.

28 comments:

silver star said...

Yes Rusty, you and Tonya are very fortunate to have the owners that you have! Thanks for reminding me that my cat needs a checkup.

Unknown said...

Rusty and Tonya you have awesome humans!

Unknown said...

while rusty is certainly more endearing than miss tonya, i still would have left a comment for her royal highness if it meant money for charity!

<3 u...say hi to my nan for me!

andrea

Anonymous said...

Both of my fur babies are shelter pets Rusty, so I know how tragic a pet's life can be. There are some mean and stupid people out there, thank God you got lucky and got a good family!

C. Beth said...

Rusty & Tonya, I love this idea your humans had! I'm going to go Tweet it and FB it. :)

Bobbi said...

Rusty and Tonya, my puppy Chauncey would love to meet you. He doesn't have enough kitty cat friends!

Eternal Lizdom said...

comment comment comment! What wonderful humans!

Unknown said...

Rusty, thank you for your blog.

Kara said...

Commenting in memory of the three kitties I've had in my life time, all of whom came into my life after being abandoned. People can be exceedingly terrible to kitties :-(

2cats said...

What a great post Rusty. You are a talented kitty indeed.
Animal cruelty is a horrible thing. My kitties are so love that they are spoiled. I am sure that you are not spoiled. But maybe Tonya is. You are just too well behaved.

Miss. C said...

My husband and I both rescued our dogs (before we met). My dog was abused and his was abandoned. I couldn't even imagine what they went through. They are very spoiled now, well fed and have a comfy bed....OURS!

porcelaine said...

What a wonderful initiative. It's my pleasure to participate!

Sally said...

You are such a sweetheart Rusty. ANd an inspiration all of us non-fur peoples. :)

Fannyfanackapan said...

Well done Rusty. Campaigning for those less fortunate than yourself. 10 out of 10. Mummy will be very proud of you. :-)

Unknown said...

What an awesome idea!! I hope you raise lots of money!

Annelie said...

I ♥ Rusty!

Thanks for bringing attention to an issue that is very dear to me. Animal cruelty makes me very sad in my purr-parts as well.

Toni said...

Good cause! It irritates me GREATLY when someone decides they want a pet and then leaves it outside all the time. I'm pretty sure I'm against outside pets. That's just mean. Good luck with your cause!

Religionbites said...

Rusty, this was a great post. Don't tell Tonya, but I think you're the better blogger. Hopefully my comments will help some other kitties & doggies who don't have loving people like you have.

Paige said...

Happy to help furry friends!!!

Anonymous said...

Rocky loves Rusty. Thanks for the needed reminder.

Rocky's mom, Gail

studio lolo said...

Thanks for spreading the word! I've been in the vet field for 36 years. I'd save them all if I could :(

Can I leave ten more comments?

studio lolo said...

Did I mention that I have a rescue kitty named Bliss?

studio lolo said...

And a rescued (high maintainance) doggy name d Emma who was at the shelter for 6 weeks?

She was one of 7 dogs neglected in a back yard. A thoughtful, brave neighbor ratted them out!

studio lolo said...

And I also make donations to the SPCA, North Shore Animal League, The Humane Society of the U.S., etc.

Okay...I'm leaving now :) I just wanted to add some more dollars by clicking and commenting!
♥♥♥

spiritsoflena said...

Oops--put the comment on the wrong post. Just wanted to say this cause is very important to me, too!

debi9kids said...

What a lucky kitty you are !

Anonymous said...

I just spent time at Petsmart and played with puppies waiting to be adopted. I wish I could get a dog!

Jennifer in MamaLand said...

I had cats before I had kids, and so I was excited to adopt a humane society kitty when the kids were old enough. Turned out my 7-year-old son was badly, BADLY allergic. His face was red, his eyes puffy, and his nose was dripping constantly (he'd been around cats before with no problem!). He wailed: "I don't MIND being sick! I can take medicine!" His sister wanted to kill him but we could not keep the cat. We brought her back (forfeiting the $100 adoption fee) with a long "reference letter" about what a wonderful family kitty she was and how we hoped she'd find her forever family soon. We checked the humane society site every day until she was adopted, and kept a picture of her up for years. Good luck and thanks for donating!