STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, April 21, 2010

The Downside of the Brightside

Recently, I've been trying to focus on having a more positive attitude. This was especially important on the trip as my anxiety tends to take over when we almost miss a train, Joe is rescanned several times at airport security, customs doesn't like my answers... So the more I focus on having a positive attitude, the more it helps me to keep perspective (not to mention a bit of calm).

Even as I set out on this conscious path of "think happy", I wondered about authenticity. Aren't there times when optimism and looking on the bright side aren't realistic? Situations when it might be more helpful to consider facts instead of glossing over them with cheer?

I hit a major bump with this positive attitude last night when discussing the current state of flux at Joe's job. Change is always scary to me so when big changes were afoot with his position and reporting structure, I was proud of myself for not immediately thinking this was a negative change but likely a positive change. So imagine my surprise last night when I found out I had somehow gotten the situation completely wrong!

Did Joe deliberately upsell the situation originally because he doubted my ability to handle the truth of it? In my attempt to be all happysunshinepants, did I misinterpret to hear what I wanted to hear? Doubting yourself sucks. And how do I sort it all out now and deal with it?

Maybe this ray of sunshine thing isn't going to workout so well afterall.

P.S. Joe is not in danger of losing his job. I'm just in danger of losing the precious little that's left of my sanity.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Sorry to hear that the Mary Sunshine thing isn't working out for you. It is ok, everyone has a glass half empty moment now and then. I hope things work out with Joe's job.

Jazzbumpa said...

You need wise council, and all I have are cliches.

Remember the only thing you can really control is yourself - and that includes your reactions to things.

Ask yourself, "What's the worst that can happen?" and prepare yourself to deal with that outcome. Then, anything better will be - - ah . . . better!

My take on the glass half full/half empty thing is, either way, you've got something to drink!

Cheers! (but not too much)
JzB

Grand Pooba said...

Hmmmm....maybe a combination of both?

mo.stoneskin said...

You and I are more alike than you might think. Sure, I'm not allergic to cats or coconut, or cococat, or catanut, but still...

You go girl. I HATE change. In fact, when I anticipate change my favourite tactic is to stop enjoying life until the change is over. Bad move. But I'm getting better. Now, at least, I can enjoy a beer and a book DURING change. Proud of you.

C. Beth said...

Finally reading this and getting a bit more insight. I think it's frustrating when we realize that there's something big in our spouse's life we aren't aware of--at least for me. It's like, "Whoa, do we ever even TALK?" I don't know if that's what bothers you or not, but...um, I'm tired, so that's all I've got.

I hope things turn out really well at his job.