STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Blog Action Day 2009

Blog Action Day is an annual event that unites the world's bloggers in posting about the same issue on the same day. Our aim is to raise awareness and trigger a global discussion.

The theme this year is Climate Change.

Climate change affects us all and it threatens more than the environment. It threatens to cause famine, flooding, war, and millions of refugees.

Given the urgency of the issue of climate change and the upcoming international climate negotiations in Copenhagen this December, we think the blogosphere has the unique opportunity to mobilize millions of people around expressing support for finding a sustainable solution to the climate crisis.

I struggled with what to write about today. I'm not a scientist. Nobody's ever going to give me a Nobel Prize for anything (except I'm also not George Bush so I guess if it's good enough for Obama, it's good enough for me). I don't have anything shockingly original or world-changing to say. So what could I say that's even on target?

And then I saw it. Some moron rocket scientist on Facebook groaning about how global warming is a total farce because it was snowing last weekend in St. Louis. When someone replied and said that "it's not global warming - it's climate change", the buffoon misinformed neurosurgeon replied that climate change is just the politically correct term because everyone has caught on to global warming being a ruse.

No, climate change is NOT the politically correct term. It's the term we use now because industrial engineers such as yourself are too stupid to understand that GLOBAL warming means the globe is warming, which results in some bizarre weather in your LOCAL area. Your narcissistic self can't understand that global warming is not all about you! It's not St. Louis Warming. So since you're too dense to realize that yes, global warming may result in excessive heat for some and snow for others, we refer to it as climate change so as not to confuse your simple brain.

Ignorance makes me nuts. Just because you don't understand, just because you don't want to make changes, don't show your ignorance by proclaiming it doesn't exist. I don't understand electricity but I don't refuse to pay the bill because I deny its existence. I don't understand gravity but I don't glue my stapler to my desk because I doubt it's occurring. I've never seen the Easter bunny but I'm not gonna argue. And you know me, my reaction to my "friend" on Facebook was a strong desire to punch him in the face.

I'm sure this isn't at all what the Blog Action Day people were after. I'll probably be banned from BAD10. It won't be the first time I've been banned for life.

P.S. If this green stuff isn't your kind of thing, go on over to my pal Sass's blog for "Things I Want Thursday". I didn't participate this week because of BAD09 but I plan to play along next week. So many things I want... But for today, the only thing I want is for you to go see Sass. And also, maybe a mocha.

11/28/09: I had to turn off comments on this post because spammers kept replying to it. Only THIS post. Very annoying.

8 comments:

TMC said...

I expect I won't be invited to BAD10 either so maybe we can start our own anti-ignorance day about something.

Scope said...

Since you technically fulfilled all the requirements for the TIWT contest, consider yourself entered.

And I respectfully disagree. Changing the terms from "global warming" to "climate change" is like the discussion I heard where they were discussing that they should change "green" to "blue" so that the environmental image would be viewed in terms of air and water instead and distance themselves from the "tree hugger" label. Repackaging the same arguments (government run heath care / public option) isn't the way to win people over to your side of the discussion.

I agree that something is going on, but the earth is a complex system that has NEVER had a stable climate (except when it was an ice ball). We need a better understanding of all the factors in play. What part is natural? What part is under our control? Well, there is some evidence from the University of Ohio that there may be volcanoes under Greenland contributing to glacier melt. That has nothing to do with me liking my condo at 72 in the winter.

Should we all reduce our carbon footprint? Sure, but until we can tune out the nuts on the far left and far right, and the reasonable people in the middle (like us) can agree on the small but important steps that will work, I'm afraid not much will get done.

quilly said...

1.) You are so right about the weather pattern shifts.
2.) Denial is a very human first response to fear -- but most humans get past us, which is why our race still survives.
3.) Political manouvering is causing more harm than good in the common person's ability to understand -- especially those common people who prefer to get their education from tabloid shows rather than reputable sources.
4.) What it will take to reduce global warming will be hardest on the "privileged" countries.
5.) an article from my other half -- a scientist who works daily helping develop "green" energy sources. http://ocquill.wordpress.com/2009/10/15/picket-signs-for-sustainabullity/

Unknown said...

climate change freaks me out.

but lots of stuff does.

i'm just crossing my fingers and preparing to run away to the woods when it's time for the apocalypse.

did i spell that right?

sometimes i feel that us humans are beyond saving. then i think maybe i should take an ativan and have a glass of wine.

andy

C. Beth said...

Yes, love this! Thank you! Great debunking of a very annoying argument.

Grand Pooba said...

I have to be honest, I stopped reading after the word Climate Change. I'm sure it was a brilliant post though!

But we're still cool right?

Melissa B. said...

Thanks for this. Even though I'm a Texan, I care about the environment, too. The thing that really chaps my butt is that there is no real recycling at Our Humble High School. We have the containers, etc., but the custodians dump everything in the same dumpster. I'm thinking when nasty lunch trash is combined with paper and bottles, no one's going to be doing any trash separating...

Weight said...

lobal warming is environment religion, it has nothing to with science. The priests of global warming cannot explain the historical periods of warming and cooling. If there is any correlation between CO2 and global temperatures, it is negative and does not support the global warming thesis. The major factor effecting temperatures on earth is the output of the sun, which varies and we cannot predict this variations with much precision.