STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, October 21, 2009

Twice makes it a tradition

My mother always says that. If you do something twice, now it's tradition. As much as I often want to burn her at the stake strive to have nothing in common with my mother, that little tidbit has always stuck in my mind. And that freaks out my little fear of commitment issues.

I can force myself through most anything *cough*family vacation*cough* once but if they want to do it again this year? Oh no, tradition, I'm committed to annual family vacation for the rest of my life!

Dinner at the local pizza place for my birthday? Okay this year. But if we do it again this year, I'm going to spend every birthday forever picking toppings.

This weekend, Joe is going (alone) to NY to see his family. My family lives in the same area. Am I a bad person for not going? We saw mine for an entire WEEK in June and he hasn't seen his since last November. When he went to NY by himself to see them. See where I'm going here? This is the second time he's gone by himself in the Fall to see his family by himself. It's at tradition! We're going to be penciling this in on the calendar every year now!

And every year, I'll be kinda torn between feeling guilty for not going to spend time with my family, not going with him to see his, and feeling relieved to skip their cold weather and the craziness of trying to split our time between 50 different people.

Plus, right now I'm overjoyed to have a quiet weekend to myself.

Hmm, maybe it's not actually such a bad tradition...

10 comments:

TMC said...

You are NOT a bad person (at least in this regard.) I think it's totally fine to make separate trips. I go to see my family in CA by myself, mostly because Husband always has to work, plus he thinks all the family stuff we do is totally boring.

Enjoy your quiet time.

Jan Holt said...

Pampering yourself and letting go of guilt is a VERY good tradition! Sorry I've been AWOL for a while. I'm so glad to catch up with you though.

Hugs,

Jan

mo.stoneskin said...

Are you saying that just because I've sprained my ankle twice - today and a month back - playing football (soccer) it is now a tradition?

Gee whizz, thanks.

Toni said...

I've never thought of this before but now that I am . . . I think you're totally on to something . . . Hmmmm

Margaret said...

No you aren't a bad person. I don't go with my husband to see his family because they bug me!!! So don't feel bad at all

C. Beth said...

Hm, it does sound like a pretty good tradition! You + a bottle of cab + Tivo = bliss.

Renata said...

I gave you an award! It's here!

If you don't accept awards, this message will self-destruct in 3 seconds. Please disregard.

Tracie said...

I never heard that saying before. She's probably right though. Mothers usually are.

blognut said...

I would totally make that a tradition! A whole weekend to yourself?! Yeah, baby!

Housewife Savant said...

I like your tradition.
I've not been up north to see my fam in 3.5 years.
My mom used to say if you've got THREE of something it's a collection.
I have a collection of three peaceful years without seeing fam.
Now that I know it's also our TRADITION to avoid them; the deal is sealed.
Guilt-schmuilt.