STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, January 06, 2010

Word of the Year: 2010

I'm a few days late but that's because I've had other fish to fry or something. Plus, it took me a few days to really think this through.

Last year, Beth posted about the concept of choosing a word to sum up your hopes or plans for the year. I chose focus and it served me well.

"Focus" helped me keep track of things I needed to work on, allowing me time for the things I wanted to work on.

"Focus" was also especially helpful in dealing with my anxiety. By discarding the issues I couldn't do anything about and just taking one thing at a time, it really helped me survive the year.

In fact, "focus" served me SO well that I'm having trouble giving it up. So I've decided that instead of just leaving it behind, I'll consider my words what they should be - learning experiences that transform us going forward.

And this year, I have a new word, "effort".

Main Entry: ef·fort
Pronunciation: \ˈe-fȯrt\
Function: noun

Meaning: the active use of energy in producing a result
Synonyms: elbow grease, exertion, expenditure, labor, pains, sweat, trouble, work
Related Words: grind, energy, attempt, endeavor
Near Antonyms: idleness, inaction, inactivity, inertia

Those "near antonyms" terrify me. They also describe my life over the past few years. See, last year was about surviving. It was about learning to handle myself and the world but I did a lot of that from the semi-comfort of a safe routine. This year will be about not just muddling through but also about making an "effort" to move in a direction that makes me happy. I actually considered "happy" and "change" as my words but felt "effort" could be applied in a more widespread manner.

I'm planning to make an effort in my health, my career, my writing, my reading, my relationships, my self-image, really my entire life. Some steps will be bigger than others - I can't do it all at once. But it's important that I realize I have to make an "effort" if I don't want to keep on as things are currently heading.

What about you? Do you have a word that describes your plans for 2010? And don't worry, this should be the last holiday-related post. I think I've officially finished putting away the tinsel. Though I'm not sure quite what Tonya and Rusty have planned for First Fursday tomorrow.

9 comments:

Autumn said...

Love this idea, thanks Beth and Cate, totally doing this with my blog too (though my word will be different) =)

Robynbeth said...

I love this idea as well, and I love your choice of words. Effort is perfect for reaching success. You have given me food for thought today. I need to work through some things and find my word.

Cindy said...

I like your word. Effort. Sounds really good!

I'm working on my word of 2010, I think I've got it - and my blog post has been 1/2 finished about it for 3 days.

No, my word is not procrastination! SHOULD be ANTI-SLOTH!

C. Beth said...

That is a great word! I hope it ends up being a really good word to FOCUS on this year. :)

kristi said...

I would say after my son was diagnosed with autism, it was survival. Last year was progress.
This year is hope.

blognut said...

Effort is a fine word for the year.

I have to think about it, but I'll probably choose "commit."

2cats said...

Great word Cate.
And I am sure that you will put effort into everything you do.

TMC said...

I think my word is Responsibility. Or Discipline. Something like that.

Anonymous said...

As noted in the Maya Angelou quote on my blog header.

"My mission in life is not merely to survive, but to thrive; and to do so with some passion, some compassion, some humor, and some style"

This year my mantra will be Thrive.
Learn more Do more Move more and Create more.