STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, March 24, 2010

Reading Suggestions

You probably haven't been keeping up with my bookshelf, which is fine because I created that list more for me. But all of the books currently "on the shelf" are actual paper books, which is lovely, but I need to download a few titles to my Kindle for our trip.

I'm asking for your book suggestions. You can check out my bookshelf link above to see the kinds of things I'm interested in. In addition, I give you these bits of guidance:
  • I need something easy to read in small, interrupted chunks (like in an airport, on a train, etc)
  • I love suspense, crime, and detective stories but I can't stand Janet Evanovich despite my Sue Grafton love
  • I tend to like James Patterson (Women's Murder Club) and Dean Koontz
  • I love a good ghost story
  • I'm not at all into sci-fi
  • I love a good biography if it's more of a story than an introspective of what makes them tick (if that makes sense)
  • I enjoy reading an occasional young adult novel
  • The Thirteenth Tale (Diane Setterfield) is an example of a book I adored
  • I'd prefer the book not be too heavy or dark
I think that about covers it. Any suggestions for me? Turns out my Kindle only has US wireless, not global (Joe bought it for me right after the second edition came out) so I need to do my downloading before next Tuesday.

11 comments:

Unknown said...

Darn my computer...this is my second try at leaving a comment.

Our reading styles are a bit different but you might like "Water for Elephants." It is fiction but set up to read kind of like a biography, and it is one of my all time favorites. You may also like Jodi Picoult's "Change of Heart." I love the twist Jodi puts at the end of her novels.

mo.stoneskin said...

Ignoring your list for now, I recently read Middlesex, which was phenomenally good, and The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier and Clay, which was also incredible.

Renata said...

Any of David Sedaris's books are good, if you haven't already read them. (Short-ish autobiographical essays) or-- a YA book that adults will actually admit to liking-- The Hunger Games. (Though ambiguously sci-fi)

Toni said...

Have you read all of Dan Brown? (I feel like a broken record repeatedly stating my love for Dan Brown.)

Everyone of his books is great but Angels and Demons and the Davinci Code are my favorites. (Lost Symbol and Deception Point are good also.)

Ghost Story? Have you read The Shining? (MILES different from the movie and WAY better!)

Hmm, my brain won't work anymore . . .

~*J*~ said...

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak was a really good read and so was The Messenger by the same author, both are YA. I came across them by accident and am really glad that I did. Lawrence Sanders is my favorite author even though he is no longer living, his books are great in my opinion. Sunday's at Tiffany's by James Patterson was good. I also like James Patterson:).
Kelley Armstrong is also good she does both YA and Adult mostly about the supernatural. I could go on since I read a lot mostly crime, detective stories or about werewolves and vampires.

Grand Pooba said...

You may have already read this but I loved The Hunger Games!

holly said...

I also hate sci-fi and love young adult books. I agree w/Rena - David Sedaris or Augusten Burroughs are my picks when traveling. They are both hilarious, easy reads that you can put down and pick back up ten thousand times.

C. Beth said...

Paths of Glory by Jeffrey Archer!!

2cats said...

If you like mysteries you might like Sue Henry or Diane Mott Davidson. Both write a light, occasionally funny book. Easy to put down for a while but you won't want to.

Jeanie said...

Directly from my Kindle, these are a few of my favorites...
The Piano Teacher by Janice Y. K. Lee
Several books by Adriana Trigliani-you need to read them in order
Several by Alexander McCall Smith
Tallgrass by Sandra Dallas

Joanne said...

South of Broad.....
The Guernsey Literary & Potato Peel Pie Society....
Sarah's Key....
Still Alice....
The Sari Shop Widow