STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Clarification about "Travelling"

In yesterday's post, I wrote this:
Also during my research, I ended up doing a lot of reading about hamsters.
The presence of low-level light at night also accelerates recovery rate in both east- and west-travelling hamsters of all ages by 50%; this is thought to be related to simulation of moonlight.
The problem is, I am neither an east- nor west-travelling hamster. And no, Mo, I am also not a north- or south-travelling hamster. Because I knew someone would ask and it would probably be him.

SomeMonkey My editor pointed out after I published that it should be "traveling" as opposed to "travelling". One L vs two.

I agree with her. Travel, traveling, traveled. I run into the same issue at work with cancel, canceling, canceled. My instinct at the time was to type traveling. According to Merriam-Webster, both are equally acceptable. Thank you, Merriam and your little friend Webster, for being absolutely no help.

Apparently this is yet another British English vs American English issue according to WordReference.com (and every other source I found):
In American English, the rule is that a single final consonant preceded by a single vowel in a two-syllable word is doubled only if the stress falls on the second syllable - hence, "traveled," "marveled," and "canceled" but "forbidden," "deferred," and "referred." There is at least one exception: "kidnaped" can be spelled "kidnapped" because "kidnaped" looks as though the "a" should be pronounced long.

So, to test the theory, I asked my Scottish pal Chixor. She chose "travelled". And then she asked if this was a test to see if she was allowed to retain her UK passport since she's going home in May. Yes, you passed.

Say "type traveling" three times fast. Sounds kinda like "time traveling" and now Joe wants to know why I'm zipping around messing up the time-space continuum.

Anyways, I just thought it was important to bring this matter to your attention. Just think, if I didn't have a blog, I wouldn't have a platform from which to speak. Now, I just have to hope my blog doesn't get cancelled canceled.

7 comments:

TMC said...

I appreciate that you take time to research these important things.

Jazzbumpa said...

The "L," you say!

I'll doublle down.

Cheers!
JzzB

Grand Pooba said...

LMAO!

I'm so glad you are here to educate us on such important matters!

holly said...

i had been typing "cancelled" on the interview schedule for two years because i thought it looked right. finally, one day i typed it in word and that little red line appeared. that's the extent of my research .

Melissa B. said...

I think Webster's would let you have it either way, one "L" or 2. Hey, it's your blog, ain't it?

C. Beth said...

What a colourful blog post!

That's the only word I could think of that we spell differently than the Brits. And the Canadians.

Anonymous said...

if you want to make the mood pleasant and to get rid of the addiction of dangerous drugs like cocaine, morphine and opioid buy the king kratom for extracts by visiting the link