STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Have a Great Trip!

It's been awhile since I've blogged about the crazy that lives inside my mother. Lucky for us all, she emailed me last week so I have an opportunity to share!

I had emailed her first, actually, to make sure my sister knew about the recall on baby slings. I mentioned that we were busy preparing for our trip. So of course she told us to have a great time and to enjoy the trip had to assume we're going to die:
Do you guys have a will made out? Having an executor in case something did happen would make it easier for us.
Easier for them how exactly? Easier for them to make off with our stuff? Easier for them to get their hands on our cash?

Yes, Joe and I have Wills. We had them made up after we bought the house because it came to our attention that in our undisclosed location without a Will, despite the fact that we have been married for a gazillion years, my parents would actually be entitled to half of my estate.

What?!?! Oh, HELL no.

So yes, we made up Wills. If one of us goes before the other, it all goes to the surviving spouse. If we should die at the same time, it's specified differently:
  • I left money to have my body disposed of put where I want it to go.
  • I left small sums to each of my family members - enough for them to purchase airfare and accommodations to attend a small memorial service.
  • I left the rest to various charitable organizations.
Why can't I have a normal mother? The kind that tells you to have fun, take lots of pictures, bring them back an awesome souvenir? Why do I have to have the one that basically says I'm going to die so she wants to make sure she can get my stuff?

Fine, then. I'm not bringing back any cheap plastic tourist crap for her! Muchas nachos, indeed.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Simple remedy; just don't die! Have a really fun trip and I'll that the cheap plastic tourist crap.

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Mom's don't always "get" how they come across....like my mom telling my sister how nice her hair looked: "What did you do, wash it?" lol
Have a great time, a safe trip, and come back well rested and happy.
~M

mo.stoneskin said...

You could bring her back a teeny tiny flag as a token gesture?

InspiredDreamer said...

You can just tell her that of course you have a Will, you have everything set to go to your local Swingers Association. Let her chew on that one. :)

Have an extraordinary trip!

Jazzbumpa said...

You really should bring her back something small, cheap and really confusing.

Cheers, and Bon Voyage!
JzB

Caty said...

have a good trip and stay safe!! I can relate..I have "crazy" mom stories that I may have to share sometime too.