STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Friday, November 13, 2009

There really IS an app for that!

No, this isn't a commercial for the iPhone. It isn't a paid advertisement for anything. Besides, Gwen would never allow it. And I will not be switching to AT&T. Anyways...

Wednesday night, I lost my mind a little bit. Specifically, there was a song and I kept hearing it in my head but I couldn't figure out the artist or even the lyrics.

I sent on a search, pleading to a friend over IM, bothering Joe while he was trying to work, and even begging Twitter for assistance. My pleas went something like this:
Help me figure out this song! It's kinda folksy or acoustic. I heard it on Acoustic Cafe on XM. Or maybe on Scrubs. Or it could've been in some Indie movie I hated. I'm not really sure if it's a chick or a dude but maybe someone like Jack Johnson or Ingrid Michaelson. And all I have for lyrics are "Do doDodo dododoo dodoDodo, DO dodoDo dodoDo dodododooo, DO dodedo dodedo dodadoDooo, blah bye you".
What? You don't know it either? What good are you?

Then, @dpringle took the opportunity to mock me for not having an iPhone said it was too bad I didn't have an iPhone because there's an app for that! (cue marketing vomit and eye rolling ickiness - except @dpringle is pretty awesome so I forgive him) He finally convinced me to search for a pc or online version of the iPhone app, Midomi.

Guess what?

It exists. I found Midomi.com and right up top was a little "click here and hum" button. So I gathered my gin courage, hit the microphone, and gave it my best "Do doDodo dododoo dodoDodo". And don't ya know? It came up with the song. Immediately. Way more efficient than 2+ hours of Youtube, Google, ITunes and SlackerRadio searching.

The song was Anyone Else But You by The Moldy Peaches. It may not be Ingrid Michaelson but it WAS used in an indie movie I hated (Juno).

And actual lyrics?
Du du du du du du dudu
Du du du du du du dudu
Du du du du du du dudu du
But you
I wasn't that far off afterall!



P.S. This is a lot like that time I was going on and on to someone (SomeMonkey?) about this word they use in London for guys that are kinda tools. And it starts with a B. She guessed every B word she could think of, British or not. The word I was looking for? Cad. Yeah. Cad. That's how I'm wired. I need repairs.

13 comments:

C. Beth said...

Wow. That is truly amazing.

I like the word "cad." Not quite as much as the word "chipper" though.

Nessa said...

There's a backwards lookup dictionary online too for finding B words like cad.

http://www.onelook.com/reverse-dictionary.shtml

Flash 55 - Blue Gill

Dave said...

You are quite welcome, Cate... I'm glad you were able to get the song out of your head....

And, yes, there really was an app for that!

muahahaha

Who loves ya?

Juniper Saltus said...

Awww... you hated Juno? *Sad Face*

They played that song on the radio here forever after the movie came out. It's one of those songs that gets on your head and just won't get out! So I'll probably be singing it for the rest of the day.

Thanks alot, Cate.

Anonymous said...

As soon as I read your "Do doDodo dododoo dodoDodo, DO dodoDo dodoDo dodododooo, DO dodedo dodedo dodadoDooo, blah byye you" - I knew exactly what it was!!!

Gee thanks, now it's stuck in my head!!!

Just say Julie said...

Glad you were finally able to figure that one out. I'm actually used to figuring out stuff like that thanks to a 9 yo that constantly asks "mom what's that song that goes....". Too bad my twitter didn't have audio :(

The Rambler said...

I have an Iphone...Boyphone (whatever :))

And the app is Shazaam...God Bless that app!!

I think that song came from the end of the Juno movie too :)

Renata said...

Juno was okay, but there's ANOTHER song on the soundtrack that consists ENTIRELY of the syllable "doo". It's called Rollercoaster or something. I'd link it, but then it would definitely get in your head. Google it if you dare.

(Cad is a terrific word. I shall work it into conversation today no matter what it takes. It's a sort of insult so that shouldn't be too hard.)

Grand Pooba said...

I wish I had an iphone.

That is all.

Matty said...

I guess the commercial is accurate. There really is an app for 'that'.

J Mac said...

thanks for sharing the link. It's so frustating when we can't remember anything about the song but its rythm. useful!!
=D

Smellyann said...

I love that song and have it on my playlist player.

Jane said...

Let me say up front: I am not a big fan of Apple. One day I was driving and a song came on the radio that was really catchy. I said that I needed to go to the radio station's website when we get home so I can check out the playlist. Out of the corner of my eye I see my son put his Iphone up to the car speaker and, just like magic, the CD cover and name of the song appeared on his screen. Most people would think how cool that is. I could only think it was a little creepy and evil. What's next with Apple...an app that can read our thoughts??? Can you just visualize this: "You want to know what I'm thinking?? Put your Iphone up to my head!"