STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Sunday, November 01, 2009

NaNoWriMo

Today is November 1st and a lot of people are embarking on the adventure of NaNoWriMo.

For those of you not in the know, NaNoWriMo is National Novel Writing Month and it happens every November. The idea is that you write 50k words in 30 days, submit it to their site for count verification, and you get a certificate of completion. Plus, hopefully, you have a nice start on a story you can then edit and make awesome.

I've completed NaNoWriMo twice but I won't be participating this year. Instead, I offer my support to those that are taking part in the challenge.

NaNoWriMo didn't yield any great draft for me, by the way. One year, I spun a very personal story into a bit of a tale. The second year, I worked on a story that I hoped to adapt into an interactive game of some sort (never happened). But the most important thing I did get out of it is that I can find time every day to write. It really helped me develop the habit of writing something each day.

And for that, I say "thank you NaNoWriMo".

Good luck to everyone with their 50k words ahead of them. If I can do it, you can do it.

P.S. Also, I hope you all remembered to change your clocks. Except I really hate changing the clocks this direction. Night blindness, yo. Losing that hour of daylight when the days are already getting shorter pretty much limits me to work then home during the week. Basically, my crazy nightlife is over now until March. Are you totally sad for me? Because now I'll have to stay in and tweet more.

13 comments:

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I'm glad you got something good out of it. I don't know how I'm going to find time each day - but I guess the point is finding it.

As for night blindness, it sucks. My husband has to drive me everywhere b/c I can't see at night, either. See ya 'round the tweet scene, yo.

Rachel Cotterill said...

I've done NaNo twice, this will be my third. I've used it in the past to see whether there's a novel's worth of mileage in a given idea; this year I'm going to try and write 50,000 *good* words which will be a new challenge...... :)

Mr. Condescending said...

I just heard about that NaNo thing yesterday, maybe next year ill try it. Hey, thanks for reminding me to change the time, I forgot!

Toni said...

I think I may attempt to give it a shot . . . lol how's that for confidence?

Margaret said...

I hate the time change too!

Ann On and On... said...

I have been reading about this and felt that I was "out of it", but now I have an understanding.... thanks!

I just lost my glasses and I struggle to drive in the dark. I'm going to riffle through the house today. Wish me luck.

Renata said...

I'm a NaNoN00B this year, and I have about 50,000 different ideas and no plot. I'm winging it, but it should be fun.

Autumn said...

OH no!! Tweet MORE? Is that even possible?! Lol. I hate night blindness too, plus people always flash their highbeams at me like I have my brights on. (Most of the time I dont have them on) drives me nuts.

50k words? Wow that's intimidating! I'm all for a new challenge though!

soulbrush said...

i did nanowrimo last year and finished it and was vetry proud, then did nothing more. have you ever tried to publish?

C. Beth said...

Hooray for more tweeting!

Kudos to all the NaNoWriMo participants. This is the first year I'd heard of it, and I'm seeing it everywhere.... Maybe some year I'll do it but not this year!

Eternal Lizdom said...

I did it last year and came away more disciplined. I pretty much post daily now anyway so I'm not signing up for the pressure... but definitely excited for the blogs I do read who have signed up!

2cats said...

I have been thinking of doing this for a couple of years, but I don't know if I have any ideas that would add up to 50k words.
I haven't driven in the dark since cataract surgery. Tomorrow will be the first time. I am a bit nervous.
I hate the dark of winter.

Lifeofkaylen said...

I don't partake in the NanoWriMo, but I do dish up for some NaBloPoMo!
30 days, 30 blogs....what could be more fun? :)