STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, December 11, 2008

More than two

Only my husband would mistake a symbol of love for a mathematical equation.

Text conversation:
Joe: panda spec 8pm pbs
me: <3

5 minutes later, he calls me, slightly out of breath.
Joe: What's less than 3? Is something wrong?
me: Nothing's wrong. Go back to your meeting and I'll tell you how you fail when you come home.
I've only been responding to him in chat and text with <3 for the past several months. Suddenly he calls to ask if it means there's some kind of emergency? SomeMonkey suggested maybe he thought that was my secret distress code in case someone had broken into the house. She may have been poking a bit of fun (it would be in character for her). 

Joe, of course, played it cool accused me of never using <3 before as soon as he walked through the door. I made him pull out his phone and look through my messages. It was in two of the first five he checked. I then opened his laptop and searched his inbox for <3. Many, many matches (all from me - phew!). 


I said nothing. I only pointed, raised my eyebrows, smiled, and walked away. At that point, victory was mine. No point in beating a dead horse. 


P.S. "Less than three" also happens to be the number of hours of sleep I enjoyed last night. I can't wait to get home and curl up on the sofa with my slanket and naked Simon Baker episodes of The Mentalist. 

P.P.S. Please tell me you do all realize <3 is a heart on its side. Right?

11 comments:

angi_b72 said...

lol...too funny! My daughter uses that all the time when she is IM'ing. Hope you sleep better tonight!! THat makes for a long day!!

Call Me Cate said...

My man makes me nuts sometimes. Why not ask the first 50 times I use something instead of waiting until he's in the middle of a meeting? Maybe he just wanted an excuse to leave the meeting. I think I'll keep him though. He's generally quite useful to have around.

I'm doing my best to stay awake at my desk this afternoon but with the rain outside, it's quite tempting to curl up in a ball...

Anonymous said...

This is very funny. btw, I'm glad you told me what <3 is. I DIDN'T know! :)

Josh said...

lol, nice touch with crossing out those words. I've never seen that before.

You recently commented on my blog, so I wanted to see what was going on your end of the blogosphere.

Good stuff!

The Tildy Spot said...

Men can be a little slow sometimes. That's what we're here for. :)

Call Me Cate said...

addhumorandfaith - I went back and added it to the original post, just in case. Thanks for stopping by.

Shafner - I can't remember where I first saw someone do the crossouts (it's been awhile) but it amused me. As do you. Nice to see you on my side of the blogosphere.

Tildy - Joe may have made a career change away from programming but he'll always be a geek at <3. ;)

Annelie said...

Ha ha! ... "less than 3"... That is hilarious!

Call Me Cate said...

My Joe... He keeps things interesting for sure.

Katie Stacey said...

I'm dying that is too funny! It totally reminds me of something my husband would do. I'm stopping by from SITS and think your blog is hilarious! Thanks for sharing.

Tami said...

Daughter uses the <3 thing alot - took me awhile to catch on also, I'm embarrassed to admit. You should be proud that your Hubby texts. Mine refuses to learn to use T9 or other shortcuts in texting so any message takes longer to type than to drive to where I am and tell me. But, as you said, he's generally quite useful to have around.

Whitney said...

I <3 this post! ♥