STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Christmas obligations

I'm supposed to be shopping for Christmas gifts this afternoon online. No, truly, I'm supposed to be working from home. But whatever. So yeah, I told myself I'd spend the afternoon finishing up shopping for Joe. Everyone else is done. I may have to turn in my woman card though - I'm totally failing at shopping.

I even convinced him to cut the budget in half because I am awesome.
me: Know why you're the luckiest man in the world?
Joe: Why?
me: Because you're married to me.
Joe: Oh.
me: Thanks for the enthusiasm. Don't you want to know why?
Joe: I'm sure you'll tell me either way.
me: I want to talk to you about cutting our Christmas budget for each other by half.
Joe: What's the catch?
me: Raincheck. I want to spend money when our house project is finished.
Joe: Yeah, I bet there's still a catch somewhere. I'll find it.
That Joe, master detective. Good to know he's on the case even though I truly just wanted to spend more later instead of now. But now I'm also glad we cut the budget because I'm having trouble shopping for him. Mostly it's pressure I put on myself because he is so awesome and I just want to make him happy.

Instead, I am going to finish addressing my Christmas cards. Wanna see them? I designed them myself.

Front:



Inside:

Unfortunately, I designed them before I found my Christmas spirit. It was definitely during the phase of "pretend you're excited for the holidays and maybe you'll even fool yourself".

Maybe I should consider redesigning them. Or not sending them at all, which I like even better.

Merry Christmas ya'll. Back to shopping!

11 comments:

Annelie said...

HA HA! Your Christmas card is hilarious!
I have made Christmas cards every year for the last 3 years, but never managed to actually get them posted... I totally fail.
And I'm totally with your on the husband gift front - I feel the same way!

Good luck with the shopping & Merry Christmas!

Call Me Cate said...

My husband buys things as he wants them and doesn't have much free time. And all either one of us really wants is to finish up our house project (which has been a bumpy road). I'm going to need to get creative I suppose.

Lisa said...

I would totally dig getting one of those Christmas cards. Maybe just send it to people who understand?

Call Me Cate said...

I only printed about half a dozen. Joe seems to think his family wouldn't quite "get" it. But then, they don't get me in general. Which is a-ok! :)

Unknown said...

OMG...fabulous card. Wish I had thought of that:) And gooey mooshy Christmas greetings are B.O.R.I.N.G...if people were being honest they would admit to a guffaw when viewing that card...or at least a giggle.

C. Beth said...

Call Me Cate, I liked you before, but now that I've seen your Christmas card I REALLY like you. :)

Call Me Cate said...

Andrea - I'm feeling anti-cards this year. Too much effort to send out an insincere sentiment. Why not say what I mean, huh?

CBeth - wow, I'm feeling so much "less than three" today! :P

The Tildy Spot said...

You're awesome. Loved the card!

Call Me Cate said...

No, you're awesome. Maybe I can come up with something friendlier to post for all my new friends here closer to next Thursday.

Lyndsay said...

Okay, I want to send your card. Wait, cards? shopping? I've still got time for all of that, right?

Call Me Cate said...

You have a week, Lyndsay. Less for the cards if you want them to arrive before. And less for the shopping if you do any of it online. Oh, wow, I'm totally screwed. Joe's getting a desk calendar and nothing else at this point.