STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Saturday, December 20, 2008

Better to give than to receive

Every year, Christmas shopping seems to go the same way. We focus first on gifts for family because they're out of town and we have to ship things out. Of course we always usually never meet our projected dates for that. Then, we move on to shopping for each other. By the time this happens, we're nearing shipping deadlines and panicking to spend our budgets for each other. This means he gets a very Amazon Christmas.

That brings us to where we are today. Since I so awesomely suggested cutting our budgets by half, we're both almost done. Oddly enough, we both have about $15 left to spend. Joe mentioned last night maye going to the mall today. Of course, he doesn't pick just any mall - he picks the biggest, craziest, most panic-attack-inducing mall in the area. I asked why that mall and it goes something like this:

me: So why that mall?
Joe: I don't know.
me: I think that mall appeals to you for the same reason it freaks me out - so big and so many choices.
Joe: I guess we don't have to go to that mall. Mainly I wanted to go to Nordstroms. They're having a huge sale.
me: Oh?
Joe: Yeah, their twice annual mens sale. They do the mens and womens sales twice a year at different times and now it's mens sale time.
me: You want to go Christmas shopping for me at the mens sale?
Joe: Well, that might've been for me.
me: Do I need to explain to you how this whole "Season of Giving" thing works?

However, since my mind has decided not to let me sleep the last few nights, I was reading Angie's blog at 3am. She linked to a giveaway that caught my attention. Pooba is giving away Bath & Body Works awesomeness. And because I never win anything, I think while Joe's shopping for himself at Nordstroms, I might just make my way to Bath & Body Works.

If only Amazon keeps their end of the bargain, Christmas should be arriving on Tuesday and Wednesday. Otherwise, Joe will have to grant Santa a bit of a lateness buffer.

ETA: Scratch that. The sale isn't this weekend. He'll have to wait a week to shop for me at the mens sale.

6 comments:

angi_b72 said...

I hate the mall....especially this time of year...I need to go to Wal Mart adn I am putting that off!! lol

The Wife O Riley said...

It took me 45 minutes to get 3 miles because I was passing a mall!

Unfortunately, we haven't done any of the Christmas shopping for the girls yet and we got rid of them tomorrow so that's when we're going. I'm already having breathing issues.

Unknown said...

I am so NOT a girl when it comes to shopping. I cannot browse, and it irritates me to no end when others do! Browse in the flyers people! Or research online! Then when you get to the store you know just what you want...so easy. Think of the efficiency. And my boyfriends present is coming via Greyhound. From Saskatchewan. And it's not here yet. I think I need 2 happy pills tonight.

Call Me Cate said...

I totally survived the mall. We went to the "old" mall that has lots of parking and even there it was crowded but manageable. We also survived the post office (just dropping off cards) and the grocery store, which was desserted.

Angie - I'd almost rather hit the mall than Walmart. But then I avoid Walmart like the plague year-round.

Wife O Riley - I don't envy the crazy shopping you have left. That's why I did all mine online. I only bought one thing in person.

Andrea - I'm also un-female about shopping. I'm not a huge fan of browsing either. That's why Amazon is my Christmas hero. But yes, I'll also have my share of happy pills waiting for delivery.

The Tildy Spot said...

I, too, am giving an internet Christmas. I enjoy the mall, but avoid it like the plague this time of year. Being around all of those people makes me anxious and takes me out of the Christmas spirit. I end up leaving the mall cursing all of humanity under my breath. "Why can't you walk on the right side of the mall?!" "Did you not see me standing here?!" "No, I was next, and have been for the past 15 minutes while this indecisive moron has been trying to decide between necklace and earrings and bought NEITHER!"

Yeah, I'm staying away from the mall so that I can have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.

I wish the same for you all.

Call Me Cate said...

Tildy - I deliberately pushed myself yesterday to test my anxiety. I figured if I could survive the mall (even the wimpy one) on the busiest shopping day of the year, that would be a good confidence-builder. Plus, I did get a bag of Bath and Body Works goodies. Otherwise, I'm with you. For my sanity and holiday spirit, best to avoid the mall!