STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Friday, December 26, 2008

Let's move along, nothing to see here

I love Christmas and yesterday was no exception. We had a particularly lovely day, just me and Joe. I spoke with most of the family at one point or another on the phone. And while it's sad in some ways to be away from them during the holidays, I wouldn't have it any other way. This way preserves my sanity.

But my point (believe it or not, I usually have one when I start writing but I lose it sometimes due to shiny objects, oh look!!!) is that Christmas has a limited shelf-life for me. I don't want to see it or think about it before Thanksgiving. Really, I'd rather you not even mention it until December 1st. Christmas music? No way, no how before my turkey day has ended.

Then December 1st arrives and I do my best to find the Christmas spirit. Some years it comes right away, others I have to fight for it. This year, I didn't find it until the 23rd but at least I found it eventually!

Today, however, is December 26th. And I'm pretty much done with it. I'm not one of those people that keeps the decorations up until Epiphany. In fact, I find myself working overtime to dream up a legitimate reason we should put things away immediately. The tree is staring at me right now and I'm itching to throw it back in the box.

And Christmas music? Do NOT be playing any more Christmas music. The only "Christmas" music I tolerate outside the holidays is some Vince Guaraldi/Charlie Brown tunes. I also don't watch Christmas specials/movies outside of December.

I'm not sure why all this is. It could have something to do with fear that the cats will destroy something. We fight with them from the minute the tree goes up to the minute it comes down (either by our hand or theirs). I caught Tonya on the mantle this past week and almost beat her dropped her in a donation box lost my mind because I thought that was one of three "safe" areas in the house. It could also have something to do with putting my things back where they belong. Nothing's in its usual spot and it bothers me a great deal.

So assuming you ever found your Christmas spirit this year, when are you "over" it? Are you like me and you can't wait to put things away or are you someone who would love to leave your decorations up year-round?

Also, on an (almost completely) unrelated note, is there any job more terrifying than being a pet store Santa? Anyone know if they get hazard pay? I can't imagine my movements being restricted by that silly red suit while someone tries to put their angry Great Dane in my lap. Maybe kids scream and bite and pee on you but one wrong move and that peeved pet is going to eat your face!

10 comments:

cw2smom said...

I think you and I found our Christmas spirit about the same time and I am over it today as well! If I am ever elected President, I will change it so that we have Christmas just once every 5 years! We'd all be better at making it memorable and appreciate what it means so much more! In my humble opinion that is! This once a year stuff is a little too much for me! LOL! Blessings for a Happy New Year Cate! Lisa

angi_b72 said...

I have been known to take my tree down ON christmas day before!! It will be down this weekend for sure!!

Unknown said...

I myself have a weakness for sparkly things...I compare myself to a crow. And yes, I am wanting to rip down my Christmas garland but I'm trying to hold on until New Year's day. Take care, I'm off to have fun (I think...I'm going to try hard anyhow) riding snowmobiles...sigh...can we all say "comfort zone"?

Call Me Cate said...

Lisa - Really interesting concept, only having Christmas once every 5 years. It would definitely make people stop and think.

Angie - I've never taken my tree down on Christmas day. But I did take it down on the 26th a few years ago. We were going out of town for a wedding and no way did I trust kitties alone with it for a week. Plus, coming home to a tree after Jan 1st? Horrifying.

Andrea - I love sparkly too. Mostly, I love my white lights. It's almost become a game now, how long can Joe torture me before I take it down myself without his help. Have fun and be safe (if not comfy)!

Anonymous said...

They have pet store santas?

Yeah, I'm totally over it today. Started putting the decorations away so I can have my house back.

Call Me Cate said...

Yaya - Yep, some places do. I have a friend with a sweet golden retriever and she has his photo taken with Santa every year. I see ads around here sometimes for it. You couldn't pay me enough money to risk life and limb posing happy with someone's evil critters. Mostly because I know how evil my own two are.

Anonymous said...

I was tempted to pull the tree down today but I think everything will stay up until New Year's. We are having out of town friends come on Tuesday and I thought it might be kind of festive to keep it up.

My comment sucks, I'm too tired. :)

Call Me Cate said...

SisterFriend - I say you ignore the tree and take a nap if you're too tired to comment properly. :P I vote for leaving decorations up until after your company has come and gone. As much as I want things put away "now", I'm also a fan of "later" because it's less effort.

The Wife O Riley said...

Finally, someone who feels the same about Christmas as I do. I begged my husband to put away the tree yesterday and he said no. (We did only put it up on Christmas eve) It comes down today.

I am so done!

Call Me Cate said...

Wife O Riley - Our tree went up earlier than yours. I think I just want to call Christmas officially "over" because it was good (once I got going) and I don't want something to happen to change that. I don't want to remember this as "the year Tonya smashed 4 pieces of Grandma's nativity" or "the year the tree burned the house down".