STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, February 18, 2010

Running, like the wind

Yesterday, I finished day 2 of week 3 in the c25k running program. For those of you not keeping track at home, it means running 90 seconds, walking 90 seconds, running 3 minutes, walking 3 minutes, wash, repeat.

Anyways.

Here's how fast I run - Joe ran earlier in the day while I was at work but in his recent efforts to be supportive, he went to run along with me at 5pm. After the run, he made it a point to tell me that he would shower after dinner because he wasn't sweaty, just he was wearing his sweaty clothes from earlier and they made him smell. Yes, thank you for pointing out that while I am DYING and the sweat is pouring off me, you did not sweat at all from our efforts.

Also, the reason he made it a point to go with me is because when we ran on Saturday, I felt really miserable and threatened to jump into oncoming traffic we had an experience that freaked me out. When we run at home, there's this kinda rough neighborhood right behind our subdivision. It only consists of a few houses and then we're back into a nice apartment complex, office buildings, etc. So last time we ran, this dude ran out of his house and followed us. All the while yelling behind us:
Don't eff with me you white ass crackas! You going home to your rich white house? CRACKAS!!!
See, I'm very much a believer in "live and let live". Also, I must point that my white cracka ass was nowhere near his house. But when the crazy dude who dances around in front of traffic and refuses to move is chasing me down calling me a white ass cracka? I tend to feel a little uncomfortable.

Other than that, running is pretty boring. I hate it. I'm totally on a mission to beat it into submission because I just hate it that much. Some people think inspirational thoughts as their feet hit the pavement. Right, left, right, left, keep, going, keep, going, you can, do it, you can, do it. I tried boo,yah, boo, yah but I keep coming back to a chant of hate, this, hate, this, kill, me, kill, me, stu-,pid.

But in theory, six weeks from now I'll be able to run a 5k. We'll see how that works out for me.

11 comments:

Autumn said...

Haha you sound like me yesterday "Hate this, stupid running, why did I start this again?!" Glad to hear I'm not the only one going through that. I took my chihuahua with me on Monday and even she was lagging behind me whining that I carry her instead. Doesn't help that my knees are really bothering me now too, gah! We CAN do this but I might hate it in the mean time!!
On a side note I run with mace just in case,
~Autumn

Anonymous said...

Yay keep going. I got as far as week 3 then the bad weather set in again. I need to find an indoor track! Well done you :o)

Cindy said...

what is this 'running' thing that you people are talking about?! I don't get it.

Juniper Saltus said...

I feel the absolute same way about running. Hate it. Hate it. Hate it. I was in the Army for 6 years and 2 of those were spent on Active Duty. We would run anywhere between 4-6 miles every other day and I absolutely hated it. It is a rare thing for me to enjoy a run. But once I drop 20 or so pounds I am going to do the couch to 5K thing to because running really is the best way to lose weight and get into shape. You are doing great! I know how bad it sucks. Trust me I know. But it will be so worth it when you start seeing the effects it has on your body! Good luck and keep it up. And punch Joe for being a show off! LOL

soulbrush said...

man oh man i admire you, i would hate it too, i try to got for walks when the weather is better, but if i didn't have my ipod to listen to audio books i would go stir crazy! you go girl,

betty said...

good for you for doing this! I used to run and it was okay (always better when I was done with it for the day)

be safe! maybe carry some mace or pepper spray with you

betty

TMC said...

what if you tried to write a blog post while you're running? that would keep your mind occupied. and i think every moment when you're NOT in front of the computer should be spent thinking of all the things you'll do when you get back to it. That's reasonable, right?

Gail said...

That sounds scary and it reminded me of my after midnight run yesterday. I ran somewhere at 9:30, not thinking ahead about the going home part. It was dark, secluded with the odd car driving by. There was the occasional guy hanging about ...all by themselves not really doing anything. Creepy. I would have died if someone started running behind me and yelling at my ass crackas. In fact, this sounds like a good reason to quit running altogether.

Grand Pooba said...

LOL!

I wouldn't have lasted the first 10 seconds.

C. Beth said...

I'm sorry you're hating it! So do you hate it during AND after, or just during? I mean, I really don't enjoy the last 15-20 minutes of my runs. But I love the feeling afterwards.

You're doing awesome.

And forget the mace, run with a baseball bat. BOOYAH! :)

C. Beth said...

TMC said, "i think every moment when you're NOT in front of the computer should be spent thinking of all the things you'll do when you get back to it. That's reasonable, right?"

HA HA HA HA!