STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Odds and Ends from Texas

We had so many experiences in Texas and not all of them are enough for their own post so let's tidy up those loose ends here.
  1. You haven't lived until you've heard a six year old randomly sing "Crazy Train" - Ozzy Osbourne tunes should be a staple for all breakfasts.
  2. Despite considering ourselves experienced travelers, we did not pack a single piece of clothing with long sleeves. We had one day in Austin with rain, wind, and a high temp of 52. Lesson learned.
  3. I have discovered my hidden talent for dodging flying ketchup.
  4. A good sign that I'm among my kind of people? A nice long discussion about books that ended with the generous gifting of three books I can't wait to dig into! And not a sci-fi in the batch.
  5. iPads make great flashlights.
  6. Some people (and kids) are exactly the same in person as they are online.
  7. I learned that the reason some ice cream is better than others is because of "fresh cows". As in - "of course the ice cream is amazing, they have all those fresh cows right in the field out back!" And this gem came from one of the adults. Love it!
  8. Kids will insist that they love tobacco sauce, even once you explain that they probably mean tabasco.
It really was a great trip. Joe's family was very welcoming and put me immediately at ease (no simple task!). The friends I met up with were lovely and not axe-murderers. And Austin and Houston both moved up on our list of cities we would be comfortable relocating to if a work opportunity should present itself.

Next week, I'll start sharing some stories about last weekend's trip to visit our families in NY. And then, I'm refusing to leave the house until at least August.

5 comments:

C. Beth said...

I am so happy that your trip went so well and didn't drive you to a tobacco sauce addiction.

I've met online friends a few times, and it can be hit or miss. Last time I met someone it went great--it's so nice when you somehow just feel comfortable with someone and realize that you want to be real life friends with them instead of "just" online friends.

widcheezondat said...

How could flying ketchup not be worthy of it's own post?

Lifeofkaylen said...

Sounds like a good trip!!!
I don't travel anywhere, ever without a sweatshirt. What if you have to get up quickly in the middle of the night and don't have time to put your bra on??? Hello??? Fires happen!

Who did you meet??? Famous bloggers probably, you're so in the know...

Toriz said...

LOL! Got To Love Kids!


Always, and I mean always, pack for various types of weather... Even if that kind isn't expected!

Unknown said...

I'm going to have to agree about the flying ketchup...that story needs to be told!