STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Wild Woman

That's me - living on the edge. Brazenly disregarding all the rules, marching to the beat of my own drummer. I throw convention to the wind and laugh in the face of commonly accepted wisdom.

How, you may ask? Let me tell you so you can be amazed by my carefree ways.

They say you should never cook with a wine you wouldn't drink. Recently, I came across such a bottle of wine. And because I didn't want to waste it, I cooked with it.

See? Totally wild and crazy of me.

I used it to make Red Wine Reduction Steak Sauce last Friday. Then, in order to up the ante, I didn't even follow the recipe exactly. This is because the recipe calls for three different kinds of onions (red, yellow, and shallots). After two kinds of onions, I was in tears and I told Joe that if the recipe was a failure, I was pretty sure neither of us would say "know what this is missing? One more kind of onion!". I also refused to "discard the vegetables". Are they nuts? I spent forever chopping and crying while I prepared those veggies. Not to mention they aren't cheap. So I left them in and poured them over the steak and mashed potatoes.

And then, as if THAT weren't enough craziness, I totally used the rest of that Merlot in spaghetti sauce last night. I KNOW! I dared tempt fate TWICE by cooking with wine not fit to drink.

All that devil-may-care attitude of railing against conventional wisdom resulted in two very yummy dinners. So they can play by the rules if they like. But I will continue to boldly go where no (sane) man has gone before.

7 comments:

C. Beth said...

YUM. I need to check out that recipe....

Apparently cooking doesn't really get rid of most of the alcohol (unless you cook it a long time)--but maybe you CAN "cook off" the icky flavor.

Maude Lynn said...

You run with scissors, too, don't you?

Kathy said...

So glad you found a use for that wine :)

Mercy said...

Hehe youre a wild woman! Sometimes throwing caution to the wind is the way to go. <3

Tami said...

ROTFLMAO! I knew we were kindred spirits - rule breakers, malcontents, non-conformists! I say, buy more wine and hope all but one bottle is fit to drink.

Toriz said...

Glad you didn't have to waste the wine in the end, and got some yummy dinners out of it! :)

I'm pretty sure the recipes that call for three different kinds of onion don't really need them, but have them added so the food looks pretty and colourful!

Changing recipes slightly is how people come up with different meals, so I think you doing your own version is a good thing! :)

Bridgette said...

You rebel! :)