STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, March 21, 2011

The Unthinkable

It's been years since this last happened, but it happened again on Saturday night. In fact, this is only the third time in history it's EVER happened.

We opened a bottle of wine and hated it so much that we didn't drink it.

I KNOW!!!

Sure, we've opened a bottle with dinner and realized it didn't pair well with whatever we were eating. Usually in that case it's a white wine that's a little sweeter than we want with the meal so we just set it aside and drink it later. We call those "porch wines" and they are nice for sipping after dinner or in the afternoon.

But this time, undrinkable. We thought it was a poor pairing with the burgers we had made, even though the recipe book recommended Merlot. Or perhaps our palettes were a bit compromised by the pre-dinner gin and tonic. Either way, the wine tasted like grape cough syrup. We poured our glasses back into the bottle and put it aside to try again later.

Later came. It STILL tasted like grape cough syrup.

And now this bottle of Merlot is mocking me from its perch on the kitchen counter. What to do with it? We can't serve it to guests or give it away now that we've poured our tasted glasses back into the mix. I hate to just pour it down the sink (which is what we did with the LAST two bad bottles). I'm going to try to use it in a recipe of some sort. I know they say to only cook with a wine you'd drink but I tend to think that's rubbish. And at this point, I'm running out of other options.

Unless you'd like to come over and join me on my porch for a glass of slightly-used Merlot!

12 comments:

Unknown said...

Freeze it in an ice cube tray and then you can add it to something you cook later. Save it and use the color to dye Easter eggs. I have no idea if that would work, but if grape juice will work I don't see why it wouldn't. Good Luck!

Eternal Lizdom said...

I've dumped wine before. Where did you buy it? One thing I love about Trader Joe's- and part of why I like to buy new wines from there- is that if I don't like it, I can take it back for a full refund.

Dump it, lesson learned, and buy something you know you like to make up for it!

Kathy said...

Grape cough syrup? YUK! If you cook with this wine, let us know how it turns out :)

Toriz said...

Personally, I have a great way to handle situations like these...

I don't drink, so I don't get in to them in the first place, but if I did drink then I have a brother who will eat and drink anything that's left in front of him for long enough. Seriously! He actually ate dog food once because he thought it was leftovers - it had been mixed with a few leftovers - and only stopped eating it because I told him what it was (I was going to just leave him eat it, but I either stopped him or I was going to be sick). If he lived close enough he'd drink it for you!

P.S. What's wrong with grape cough syrrup?

21 Wits said...

Oh so sad...I have had this happen before too, lately it seems we get a lot of gifts of wine....;) and sometimes you hit one that just needs to be thrown out! ..and mixing it with something bubbly doesn't make it any better usually!

Anonymous said...

It's such a bummer buying stuff you end up not liking. I've done that several times. It hurts my bank account's feelings.

Grand Pooba said...

I'm not a dumper. I'm dumbfounded.

C. Beth said...

When we discovered Black Box, I thought, "Whaddya know?! Boxed wines can be good!" So I tried another brand and we both found it ICKY. Our grocery store allowed us to return it! I did have to call and talk to "the wine guy" there to get permission first.

Katherine Krige said...

I would try to return it. Nothing worse than spending your hard-earned bucks on a bottle of blick. I get home-made wine from my mom and don't tell her, but it just ain't so good. Fine for cooking though! :)

Kathe W. said...

toss it toss it! If it isn't good to drink it will ruin your food in a recipe! Using it for egg dye is a great idea!!!
OR take it back to the store- it could be corked and that would make it undrinkable...

Jazzbumpa said...

Another good reason to buy wine from Trader Joe is that it's so cheap that if you end up throwing it out, it doesn't matter.

The Shiraz is quite a nice red.

Cheers!
JzB

Self Sagacity said...

I had to cringe and dump before. If it's yucky, it's not going to taste better in something else. Or will it? I've never tried to doctored it up yet.