STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, March 14, 2011

Lunch Order

As I snacked on a piece of cheese after finishing up some mustardy egg salad today, I had a sudden flashback to eating cheese sandwiches as a kid. Not grilled cheese. Just cheese, on bread, with mustard. Preference: sharp cheddar cheese and yellow mustard. Maybe even some butter. My dad would always ask if I wanted some "meat" (aka bologna, which I refuse to acknowledge as an actual meat) but I was quite content with my cheese sandwich.

My sister's favorite sandwich was open-faced, peanut butter with sugar. Because peanut butter doesn't have enough sugar in it to begin with, she'd then put on a generous sprinkle of sugar. By which I mean she'd load it with sugar until no additional sugar would stick. THEN she would decide it was acceptable to eat.

Still, our favorite sandwiches are pretty "normal" compared to my brother's preferred lunch. Unlike me, he loved bologna sandwiches. His condiment of choice was grape jelly. For years, that's all he would eat for lunch. Bologna and jelly. So gross.

I blame our weird sandwiches on my dad. He was an equal opportunity sandwich lover. He'd put just about anything between two slices of bread. However, all of his sandwiches had one thing in common - one corner always had mayo. Even if it was pb&j. Why? It wasn't because he had a mayo obsession. It was because none of his children had developed a taste for mayo yet. In fact, we all hated it. Putting mayo on one corner of his sandwich meant he'd gladly give us a bite if we asked. It also guaranteed we wouldn't ask for more. (Joe always gives me a bite of food buried in wasabi or sriracha sauce.)

That doesn't work anymore with his adult children. But I have to wonder if he's recycling that trick on my niece and nephew. I know I would!

What weird combinations do you like to put between two slices of bread? Any tricks to keep your yummies to yourself so you don't have to share?

11 comments:

C. Beth said...

Eww...balogna & jelly.

In high school, a friend got my sister and me to try PB & pickles. And you know what? It's actually kind of a good combination. I wouldn't want it every day, and I don't think I'd like it now as much as I did then...but it's not bad.

TMC said...

When I was a kid I was allergic to yeast so my lunch every day for years was peanut butter and jelly on a flour tortilla. Sounds weird but it's delicious.

Tales of Cheerios and Sleepless Nights said...

I gotta ask...why the photo of the horse? :)

I really love sweet pickles and tuna. Mmmm!

Juniper said...

I like honey and Marmite (Vegemite), I like the contrast of sweet and zingy. But I seem to be the only person I know who does :-)

Liz said...

My husband likes PB and bologna. Blech.

For me, a cheese sandwich is bread, cheese, mayo.

I tend to be trying to get my kids to try different foods rather than trying to keep them away from my food!

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

Well, there's always saying, NO. The kids I know generally don't know what that means, though.

Bologna and jelly is grossing me out. The chicks at work use grape jelly when "barbecuing" cocktail sausages, and I won't eat that either.

I can not bring myself to eat bologna, but I notice Jack's has a bologna biscuit breakfast these days. NO THANK YOU!

Jeanie said...

I would suspect that a good cold or even a little runny nose might discourage people from asking for a bite :)

Toni said...

No odd sandwiches around here. Unless you count Peanut Butter and Banana.

The Kiddo often asks for a sandwich with Peanut Butter, Pickles and Mayo. I think he figures he likes them all separately, why not together? I have yet to give into that one. Maybe one day. :)

I'm curious . . . What's up with the horse? Horse sandwiches? Horsraddish? (Spelled it wong, I know.)

widcheezondat said...

One of my favs is a Potato Chip sandwich. Mayo, mustard & potato chips. Yum.

Unknown said...

That is genius, the mayo on the corner. I am going to have to try that on my husband sometime. haha! There is a place nearby that serves my favorite: flat bread with peanut butter, honey, granola and banana. It is the most delicious thing aside from a spoonful of Nutella.

Toriz said...

I quite like egg and cheese (yes, in the same sandwich) though most of the time I do have just one or the other. Usually either with ketchup or mayo.

I had some really weird combinations when I was younger though... Once, for example, I had jam, cheese, marmalade and chocolate spread all in the same sandwich. It was pretty good, actually!