STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, December 01, 2010

Words

Prompt: One Word. Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you're choosing that word. Now, imagine it's one year from today, what would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

This is a great prompt for kicking off #reverb10. Especially since I started picking a Word of the Year in 2009. My word for 2010 was:

Here's what I wrote at the time:
...(2009) was about surviving. It was about learning to handle myself and the world but I did a lot of that from the semi-comfort of a safe routine. This year will be about not just muddling through but also about making an "effort" to move in a direction that makes me happy. I actually considered "happy" and "change" as my words but felt "effort" could be applied in a more widespread manner.

I'm planning to make an effort in my health, my career, my writing, my reading, my relationships, my self-image, really my entire life. Some steps will be bigger than others - I can't do it all at once. But it's important that I realize I have to make an "effort" if I don't want to keep on as things are currently heading.
I made some great efforts - in a week, I'll be completing a graduate marketing program that wasn't even on my radar when the year began. That plus resigning from my job definitely mean change for my career. I did a lot of reading and writing. I also made nice progress regarding inner peace, even if I didn't solve my self-image issues. There were areas where I fell short, specifically regarding my health. But that's on my list now.

Next year's word? I'm not 100% sure yet. I always have to try a word on to see if it's going to fit. Right now, I'm thinking better. I'm tired of trying to achieve some definition of perfection that's completely bogus anyways. If I can just do better, be better, workout better, write better, love better, work better, play better, 2011 could be one for the record books.

6 comments:

Joanie said...

Wow! To sum up an entire year in one word is difficult, to say the least!
I like your word for 2010, Effort. To find the correct word for myself... I'd have to think on it for a while. If I discover it, I'll let you know!

Caty said...

I think 2010 for me would be summed up with the word "Storm". My life this year has been a storm of emotions, changes, people...I could go on...hopefully next year will be rebuilding-relationships, happiness, career, my feeling of worthiness. That's what I'm hoping for :)

Toriz said...

I'm glad you were able to achieve what you hoped this year, and that your year lived up to your chosen word. I hope next year does too.

Juniper said...

To sum up 2010 - Traumatic (for more than one reason)

For 2011 - Progress

I won't be participating in Reverb10 though, because I automatically avoid anything that dictates my post subjects every day for a month ;-)

C. Beth said...

"Better" does sound much more attainable than "perfect."

It's pretty cool to see what your efforts did last year!

Unknown said...

My one word for the year 2010 is FAITH.
Our second daughter challenged me to read the Bible through, and I took her up on it. I've been so awed and amazed through this year. When I moved closer to God, He moved closer to me! And my faith has grown by leaps and bounds.