STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, December 06, 2010

Wonder

Day #4 Prompt: Wonder. How did you cultivate a sense of wonder in your life this year? - Jeff Davis (@JeffreyDavis108)

Growing up in a small rural town with over-protective parents who believed the world outside was evil, I grew up missing out on a lot of experiences my friends had.

As a result, my travel-obsessed husband (then boyfriend) loved taking me to new places so he could watch my sense of wonder. Even today, the situation most guaranteed to induce wonder for me is traveling to somewhere new and spectacular.

I try to take a moment whenever I'm experiencing something new to think about what is happening and appreciate it fully. However, extra moments have been in short supply this year. The best thing I can do to cultivate a sense of wonder is to slow down and be fully aware of the circumstances around me. The holidays are a nice time for that and I'm looking forward to it.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

i think it's awesome that you get to travel to so many new and interesting places...what wonderful memories.

ha.

just realized i said "wonder"ful.

i AM kick ass.

<3

Toriz said...

Most of us could do with doing that. Never lose the sense of wonder.

C. Beth said...

I like the idea of focusing on WONDER during the holidays.

Diane said...

It seems like as kids we have it all the time and then we get older and crusty. I miss being a kid sometimes. :O)

The Brown Recluse (TBR) said...

My parents (especially my mother) was very much like that..over-protective, and convinced that every man wanted to rape her daughters.

I've come to understand there must have been a reason. I never asked her, but the older I get, I have to wonder what happened to her to make her worry so about us.

I wish I got to travel more...but I don't like to fly very much, so that does limit the choices somewhat. Keep taking those extra moments to appreciate more fully, because those moments are what you'll take away from the experience that will last a lifetime.