STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, August 31, 2010

A Drinking Game

A little preview of the fun to come. Fun for you, fun for me. Some now, some later. Ready?



What's this? THIS is the glass barrel I bought Joe for a special occasion about a year ago. Inside, wine corks from all the bottles we've had at home, and a few that have made their way back from evenings out.

Here's where the game comes in. In this post, you guess how long it will take us to fill up that barrel. For reference, we started around August 1st of 2009. Closest guess wins something. I haven't actually determined a prize yet.

And then, once it is full, I'm going to take guesses about how many corks are actually in the barrel. I'm not going to give you any kind of tally at this point, mostly because the barrel lives on top of the kitchen cabinets where I can't reach it. Joe had to drag it down so we could empty the wine case drawer into it again and I took a picture while I had the chance. And of course that closest guess will ALSO get a prize.

So fun for you, now (guessing the date) and later (guessing the number) and fun for me, now (drinking some wine) and later (drinking some more wine).

I'm going to post the picture in my sidebar and take guesses on the date right up until it actually happens.

P.S. I'm thinking about giving slumped (melted) wine bottles as prizes. I know not everyone's into wine but slumped glass is really pretty. Also, it can be used for many things, including a spoon rest, cheese board, decoration, etc. I've seen these done with and without labels and made from wine, liquor, and even soda bottles. (The example at right is from BPR Designs on Etsy - it's one of the best photos I found.)

22 comments:

Betty W said...

I´m thinking you´ll be drinking more now, because you want to fill it up faster. :) So my guess is Feb. 14, 2011! Valentines Day.
What do we win?? You have to entice us with something. :)

Unknown said...

I am going to start out the guessing with Feb. 14, 2011. With the holidays you are going to fill that sucker right up, and your Valentine's Day bottle will top off the barrel.

I love the idea of saving all the corks. How cool will that look totally full! Love it!

Unknown said...

Jinks Betty! Same date guess and the exact same time. How often does that happen?

Sarah said...

^They don't know you like I do. What's today, Tuesday? I'm going with... two weeks from this Thursday.

Toriz said...

I'm going to guess January 1st 2011... New Year's day next year.

Call Me Cate said...

@religionbites my guess is June 14, 2011

http://twitter.com/religionbites/status/22617628846

TMC said...

I'm going to guess mid-March 2011.

Toni said...

I'm guessing, July 4, 2011 . . .

widcheezondat said...

My guess is Jan. 22, 2011.

Grand Pooba said...

I'm going to go with my birthday, July 3rd 2011!

However I doubt it will take you that long ;o)

blognut said...

It'll be full after the holidays if you're planning to do Christmas up right. Or, not upright, as it were.

Am I going to win all the cat hair I can eat? Because honestly, I don't eat cat hair and would much prefer something with monetary value to someone who isn't planning to stuff pillows with cat hair.

holly said...

1/31/2011. Sooner if life gets too stressful.

Anonymous said...

I love the look of the slump wine glass. I guess Jan 25 2011

C. Beth said...

June 1, 2011

RandomWonders said...

I'm guessing Feb 2, 2011 :) CHEERS!

Jenny from Chicago said...

My guess is January 20th! I think the holidays will be big for your cork collection.

Megan said...

LOL The first two had the same thought as me!

So, instead I'm going to guess February 1, 2011. =)

betty said...

LOL,I think this is the cutest giveaway contest I have seen in a long time!! I'm going to say January 31, 2011.......

in the meantime, enjoy the wine ;)

betty

Whitney said...

May 9, 2011. :) Love this idea!

Forgotten said...

Ok. I'm guessing July 5th, 2011.

And I'm guessing 236 corks.

:)

V

SurvivorBlessing said...

I am late and so I can see how much you have drank so far.... my guess is January 17th, 2012.... let's see.

Whitney said...

Can I change my date to September 14, 2011?
Unless you haven't updated, my date just passed on the 9th. :(