STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Handling the Check

Know what I find most awkward about eating out with anyone other than my husband? Handling the check.

I'm generally happy to split the check or even pick up the entire tab because I enjoy spending Joe's money the chance to spend time with a friend. But what I refuse to do is argue over who is going to pay or how much.

"I've got it!"

"No, I've got it!"

"Nope, I said I'm paying."

"Can we at least split it?"

"No."

That has the potential for turning awkward very quickly. And that's about as far as I'll argue before I just say thank you.

In the scheme of things, I think it usually evens out. I'd say I end up paying just as often as I end up being paid for. Unless we count the husband because that's his duty pleasure, to pay for meals out. It's the price he pays for me to grace him with my company.

Anyways, you know who you are. Thank you. And next time, it's on me.

10 comments:

Linda said...

Cate...this is so true! So awkward! But as you say it works out in the end eventually.

Have a great day!

Linda @ Truthful Tidbits

Diane said...

Love your crossouts and inner workings of your true mind. I have similar thoughts. :O)

C. Beth said...

You're welcome!

(Just kidding.)

Yeah, the check thing can be awkward....

Grand Pooba said...

Oh man, I'm notorious for doing that. I refuse to let others pay. It's my dad's fault, he's the same way.

But hey, if we ever go to lunch I'll let you pay ;o)

Toriz said...

I prefer to pay my own way, but if people say they're paying, I just ask, "you sure?" a couple of times and leave them to it. Then I make sure it's me who pays next time.

Unless it's hubby, because it was part of our wedding vows. It was the small print... The really small print... The part he didn't bother to read. Not my fault if he didn't read that bit before saying, "I do," is it?

Margaret said...

My friends and I always fight over who is going to pay lol

holly said...

i only have one friend that does that, and i'm quite sure it's never evened back out. the rest stare at me in awkward silence until i say, "could you split this?" hey, someone's got to take the reins.

Jeanie said...

I agree about how awkward that is, but if someone wants to pay, let them pay and you get it next time is a good way to handle it. It is even worse when there is a group and people try to figure out their share to the penny. Just put enough money on the table, leave a nice tip and call it good....but I guess that is a whole other post.

Anonymous said...

I agree, it's just easier for one to pay it and then trust that the other person will pick up the tab another time. If I'm with a group (not including family), I always ask the server for a seperate check, because inevitably when the bill comes, everyone whips out a $20 and expects others to give them change. I always make sure that I have lots of small bills and coinage when I go out so that I can also leave a proper tip. - G

CiCi said...

You handled it with grace.