STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, August 10, 2009

Maybe Frodo only needed one ring but I needed three

Last week, I filled out a meme that included the following:
20. Ever been given an engagement ring?

Joe has given me three engagement rings. Only one marriage though.

A couple of people asked about this and since Joe and I just spent the weekend celebrating our anniversary, I thought I would share the story of my three rings.

Ring #1 - (1995) We had known each other less than two months when Joe first proposed. We were both young and I told him I wasn't comfortable being engaged at that point. So instead we decided to be "pre-engaged" at least until I was out of high school (we were together quite young obviously), whatever that means. To celebrate, he bought me a beautiful little amethyst ring.

Ring #2 - (1996) Long story but saving up for a real ring wasn't going very well for Joe. Not because he wasn't working very hard but there were a lot of other things that made it difficult to save. My grandmother actually offered Joe her engagement ring for him to give me. She wanted me to have it so it would be kept in the family so when he officially proposed, Grandma's ring became ring #2.

Ring #3 - (2006) Ten years after not being able to buy me a ring on his own, Joe surprised me on our anniversary with the news that he had been covertly saving away some money and now had enough to buy me a ring. He wanted me to help pick it out and we spent the next few months shopping before we finally found what we were looking for (it was tricky finding a setting that would work with my wedding band).

And so that's the story of my three engagement rings. Nothing dramatic involving theft, Tonya, or robot armadillos. I still have the other two, of course, and wear them from time to time. At least I do when they fit, which is not right now unfortunately.

We had a lovely weekend, by the way. Now I'm working on catching up with your posts and comments. Also, trying to put a few things into gear. I need some change and I think I've finally put together a plan to make it happen.

17 comments:

Toni said...

Aww. How sweet. I love Amethyst, so beautiful.

SparkleFarkel said...

Rinnng! Rinnng! Rinng! Oop! At first I thought that was the phone; turns out, it was YOUR BLOG ENTRY! LOL! Three rings attached to true love-- how wonderful!

Strange Mamma said...

Awww....you realize, if you want to keep up with Grandma's tradition, you'll have to have some kids to give you grandkids. I'll post more pics soon to give you more temptation. Resistance of the Little Man is futile.

cherie said...

oooh, very romantic! joe is my kind of guy!

Moxie said...

This story makes me very happy. It is so cute. Congrats again on your anniversary and good luck catching up on all your stuff. :)

betty said...

such a sweet story to read; so the first ring was kind of like a promise ring; and that was sweet of Joe's grandmother to give her for the official proposal; and neat that you and Joe could pick out #3 together after the marriage; very nice story :)

betty

Unknown said...

i must again state that i love joe.

he has a great spirit.

andy

p.s. i wish i had three rings.

mo.stoneskin said...

I suspect that Tonya had at least something to do with it. Maybe she helped Joe choose?

Rochelle said...

High school sweethearts even! Sweet story. :)

Melissa B. said...

What a sweet, sweet story. Thanks so much for sharing it with us.

larkswing said...

I like that story! Cute. Glad you have a plan coming together. Would you like to figure one out for me? hahaha

MJenks said...

So....you're an Elven king, under the sky?

Toriz said...

Glad you had a good weekend. Great story about the rings. :)

Sassy Britches said...

It's actually quite romantic if you think about it. *Big sigh*

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I like this story. He's kind of a sweetie, huh?

Just say Julie said...

sweet story! My mom lost hers water skiing on her honeymoon. My dad had to replace a wedding band & an engagement ring.

C. Beth said...

I really love that you guys have been together so long. That's very, very sweet.