STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, August 04, 2009

Mama Mia! (Updated)

Thunderbolt and lightning, very very frightening me!

So last night, we finished up our dinner and were chatting about something that seemed important at the time. It was storming outside and had been for awhile.

I was innocently stirring my tuna veggie noodle CRAP for lunch when KABLAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Lightning, thunder, the whole house shook and all the little hairs on the back of my neck stood on end.

There's an entire list of casualties already, the most important being both the upstairs and downstairs a/c units. We don't now if it's the entire units, just the thermostats, or something else. Since it's going to be 97° today, it would've been a good day for air conditioning!

Once we figure out the extent of the damage, we'll need to figure out who's going to pay for it. We have this thing from the power company that's basically a surge protector for the entire house. Yeah, lot of good that did. So maybe they can pay. Or maybe homeowners insurance can pay. Or maybe your rich Aunt Erma would like to pay. Should I start a charity auction of all the cat hair you can eat?

Speaking of that - I'm wondering is if there's any way I can claim it fried Tonya's brain. Maybe get a replacement model. This one is so defective. Beyond repair.

So sorry today's post isn't very entertaining - yet another night of no sleep (I should be used to that, right?) and to be honest, it's hard to find the funny when all I want to do is swear and punch things in the face.

Most importantly, we're all safe and the house didn't explode or catch on fire. It could've been so much worse. For that I'm grateful.

For up-coming dealings with service companies, insurance, and paperwork, I am not so grateful.

UPDATE: We have a/c again! Upstairs unit was an easy fix. Downstairs unit kinda has a bandaid that's working for now. We were planning on replacing it soon anyways. All repairs together so far = $550, well below our $1000 deductible. And the power company protection thing doesn't cover any circuit boards (which is what's fried, of course). Good thing our money tree is doing well this season!

22 comments:

Toni said...

I'm so sorry to hear about the lightning strike. Although, I am glad to hear everyone is okay. I hope you get your air conditioning fixed very very soon!

sherri said...

I could handle being homeless in nice weather easier than being inside a home with no air conditioning in the humidity.

I feel for you.

Wear cool, wet rags around your neck and don't do much of anything, if you can help it.

I have no tips for dealing with the insurance comapanies...do you have nerve pills?

Annelie said...

So glad you guys are alright! "it could always be worse" is basically my new mantra, so I totally hear you on that. And on the insurance companies - they suck & dealing with them extensively is never fun.
Stand your ground & push them. Seriously.

silver star said...

I laughed, but some would probably say that I'm "easily entertained" so take that however you want to. I'm sorry to hear about the lightning, that is freaky, hope you can stay cool til the AC's fixed.

mzbehavin said...

It might have been God's way of getting you away fromm the tuna veggie noodle crap......... ( laughed my ass off...... you don't write jingles for TV commercials do you??? cause that one??? would totally catch on...)

sorry about the AC......

Hope it's fixed soon!

betty said...

oh my gosh! what a frightening experience for sure! so glad you/Joe (and even the cats) are safe and sound though! sorry about the A/C units though. I'm hoping one call to your insurance company will be all it takes to get things rolling and that they will do the 'dirty' work for you to get everything fixed

take heart, Friday is 4 days away! seriously, I hope the week isn't all like this for you

betty

Moxie said...

It's so good that everyone is alright and no one got hurt. Sucks about the damage though. I know you'll get through it. Good Luck! [My theatre side wants to say Break A Leg, but I really don't think this is suitable. Replace leg with bank, then yes... it fits... x_x]

Again, I am very sorry for what happened. I hope for the best.

Tania @ Larger Family Life said...

Ouch for the a/c - but glad you're ok.

Tania (via SITS)

Cynthia said...

Glad to hear that you all are safe. I hope your ac gets fixed soon.. . for free!

Anonymous said...

OMG!!! Glad you are ok. These lightning strikes seem to be gettting crazier.

larkswing said...

Hello! Glad all non-electric beings are fine, well except for the cat thing :) And I am sorry, I laughed some, you are funny - especially the part about wanting to punch things. May your day be full of wonderful surprises (the power company will pay - poof!)

Grand Pooba said...

Glad to here the air conditioning is back up and running! Poop, you have to pay for it?

I'll call Aunt Erma and see how her money tree has done this year.

Mine died along time ago.

Unknown said...

Can I have a branch off your money tree? Glad you were able to get the unit fixed before you melted...there is nothing worse than icky sticky sweaty heat. I would punch and swear at people too.

The Wife O Riley said...

I was going to have my husband, the HVAC technician, email you and see if he could maybe guide you into repairing it yourself. Then I got to the end of the post, I'm glad you have air again!

Toriz said...

Glad it was only the AC units that got fried, and that you sort of got them fixed. Funny how the bit that's damaged isn't covered though. Isn't that how it always goes?

blognut said...

I'm sorry that this happened to you - and I'm sorry that I'm kinda chuckling right now. NOT at the whole lightning thing, but at Sherri asking if YOU have nerve pills!! LOL!

You have a nerve pill tree in the back yard right next to the money tree, right?!

And I'm totally coming over to pick your orchard tonight!

Eric said...

Ugh, it's always below the deductible.

Jan Holt said...

Yikes!!! I'm glad you weren't fried!

Try to avoid lightning striking twice by doing as many silly cliche things as you can today.

Hugs,

Jan

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

So... no replacement Tonya?

Glad everyone is okay and your units are working in the heat.

Just say Julie said...

We went on vacation one year and came back to found our entire house had been shorted out by lightening. Imagine no electricity at all and coming home to a smelly defrosting freezer and stale air. ugh! It totally fired one of the DVD players cause that's where it came in.

Glad you had a quick fix on at least one unit!

Megan said...

Scary!! So glad everyone is ok! And SO glad you have your a/c {partially} fixed. Woo-wee!

Quilly said...

Gee, I don't know if I should add my sentiments that I'm glad you are all safe and well, or offer my condolences that things weren't worse! ;)

Life's like that sometimes. I hope you hit a nice lull soon.