STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, August 31, 2009

Irrational Fear: Recliners

We've spent a lot of time recently shopping for recliners. The whole idea is that since I can't sleep flat (or with my incline pillow) and it's not comfortable to sleep sitting straight up, maybe the recliner would be a nice compromise. A padded, comfy, partially reclining compromise.

Finally, (I am skipping the WHOLE long story here even though that story makes me a hero), we found a good deal on a reclining sofa and reclining loveseat set. Since the cats have been rough on the old set and the price was right for replacement, we jumped on it. They'll be delivered today, Monday. (See how tricky I am about that considering I'm writing this on Sunday night? Brilliant!)

I may have subconsciously sabotaged the early part of the search because I'm actually afraid of recliners. See, recliners (in my experience) are where old people go to die. Everyone in my mother's family either died in their recliner or spent their last few months living in the chair because they couldn't sleep flat.

Grampa scooped himself a bowl of his favorite ice cream, sat down in his recliner, major heart attack. Game over. I can't eat vanilla ice cream with cherries anymore.

Gramma had advanced emphysema due to smoking which meant no lying down flat for her. Cough cough cough! I can relate - to the coughing, not to the smoking. She lived in her recliner until her final hospital stay. Still begging for another cigarette.

Great-gramma died in her recliner at 87 years old. Not a clue who she was or where she might be but that woman loved her cookies!

See what I mean? I'm more afraid of recliners than I am of hospital beds!

This is why I think I finally agreed to Joe's over-the-top decision to buy a reclining loveseat and sofa. They may recline but they're different from the Chairs of Death.

Now if we can just get someone to buy our two perfectly-good slightly-used loveseats from us. Because 3 loveseats, 1 sofa, 1 piano, 1 entertainment cabinet and 2 crazy cats = way too much furniture for my living room.

23 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

Can't you train the cats to play the piano? That way they will out of the way, sitting on the piano stool playing Scot
Joplin while you can relax in the recliner, puffing away. (Wait, you wouldn't be puffing.)

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

That is definitely a reason to be afraid of recliners. Geesh, how weird! Hopefully it helps you sleep.

C. Beth said...

Reclining sofas are definitely different from recliners! For one, you can every so often lay flat on the sofa itself instead of the recliner portion, just to show you CAN!

Lora said...

I feel the same way about beds in living rooms...

Patti @religionbites said...

David and I looovvveee out reclining couches. And they definitely don't have the same "feeling" as recliners. Just as long as you don't put the sheet on with the little remote caddy over the arm. :)

Sherri Murphy said...

Your rationale makes perfect sense!

Jenni said...

Hopefully they will help you sleep AND give you the opportunity to start a new trend by not dying in your recliner!

The Wife O Riley said...

A reclining sofa is still a sofa, not a chair. I think you're safe.

Grand Pooba said...

Eeeek! Not the reclining chairs of death!

You make me laugh you crazy!

Quilly said...

I may never sit in a recliner again just because of this post even though, to my knowledge no one in my family has ever died in a recliner.

betty said...

and a partridge and a pear tree (sorry, just singing to the list of furniture you included at the end of your post)

what an interesting entry; sorry for all the misfortunes caused by recliners.....

we have such a unit that you describe and it is wonderful!! of course we don't have much room for them to recline since we down-sized, but they are comfortable for sleeping in

hope it does help you get a good night of sleep

I still would like to hear the whole story of how you become the hero of this all

betty

Dr.John said...

We just bought a sofa that reclines on each end. We love it. Hope you end up loving yours.

2cats said...

We had a reclining love seat. We thought we wanted to sit next to each other. Boy were we wrong. Now we each have our own reclining chair.
No death yet to report.

Leah Rubin said...

Yup, recliners are death traps... My mom spent a couple of years in one in a grim nursing home. They called it a Geri-chair. I called it the arms of Satan. But, she was comfy, apparently, and she didn't get bedsores. Ooh, sorry-- downer of me...

But great post-- and not so irrational.

soulbrush said...

what a funny post, except for the emphysema story, my mother died of it at 57..uh horrible to watch! sounds to me like a realy cosy home, and the cat too.tee hee.

blognut said...

So... can I say this here?

Reclining loveseats and sofas? OMG! Way too fun! You'll figure it out.

:)

cherie said...

wow, such an extensive recliner history! my patients seem to enjoy them! hope you enjoy yours, sweetie!

Sassy Britches said...

Why am I the only one looking on the bright side here? Instead of fearing recliners, why not fear bad habits like eating too many cookies and ice cream, or smoking? You GO with the reclining sofa and loveseats! Fear not!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Unknown said...

It's a really great post. When i read the article close my eye. Thanks, i hope you put more and more article same as. lobby set.