STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, August 27, 2009

Certified Dork

A couple of months ago, Joe was given a "Special Award" at work.
As one of our organization’s top performers and leading contributors, you have been selected to receive a special award in the amount of $1337 in recognition of your outstanding performance and achievements during the past year.
Congrats to Joe on being awesome! But of course I couldn't just leave it at that.
me: you got a dork award
Joe: huh?
me: you know what 1337 is, right?
Joe: 1K b4 tax?
me: no
well, maybe
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leet
Joe: hmm
me: that's the geekiest thing ever
not complaining, but seriously
In the current economic climate, I'm thrilled that Joe has a job and that he's respected and valued by the executive hamster wranglers. I also realize any award or recognition is a big deal when they're constantly reducing staff. But could the amount BE any dorkier? (I totally said that in my best Chandler Bing voice - try it, it's fun!)

Whatever. The money was green and I we had no problem spending it on books and shoes our lightning damages.

P.S. No, it was NOT $1k after the taxes were taken out. Wishful thinking, dear husband.

21 comments:

Sassy Britches said...

Your hubby freakin' rocks. And THAT is a hysterical award, especially since you know they made it that way on purpose. Sheesh!

Unknown said...

i heart chandler bing.

that is all.

andy

Melissa B. said...

But as my husband's Uncle Lewie used to say, it's better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!

Lyndsay said...

Awww, but dear Cate, just how dorkey does that make the person who understood the true dorkiness of the award?

Everyday Goddess said...

Congratulations, I guess?

<3 Chandler.

Grand Pooba said...

Way to go hubby! And I read that sentence with my chandler impression before you suggested to do so!

Toni said...

LOL I totally heard it in Chandler's voice even before you said that was your point. lol.

Chandler is my favorite. Hehe

Oh, Congratulations Joe!

blognut said...

I have to wonder how it is that you retain so much inforamtion on how to spot dorks and dork awards.

Is there something you are not telling us?

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I think the most interesting part of this story is that you knew what it meant. Off the bat.

The kid at Bounce U today spoke like Joey. He said to the kids, "how YOU doin?" I'm not sure he was even born in the era of Friends.

betty said...

I didn't know that info; interesting! at least it was something as a reward, right??

I'm sure it got used wisely (or probably quickly in these economic days)

betty

C. Beth said...

I consider myself pretty geeky, but not so much in the computer sense, and the Wikipedia article doesn't really make sense to me....

Intense Guy said...

Before taxes... after taxes... someone is watching the hampster wheel spin a little too long. :)

Hey now that you said Chandler... what was the name of that report he was always responsible for?

Renata said...

1337 p0w3r!

(did I even DO that right? It's so confusing... Anyway, congrats on the award!)

(And the money. The terrific, dorky money.)

Dr.John said...

I have no idea why that figure makes it a Dork award.

Moxie said...

Too funny. It makes the inner Dork in me feel warm and fuzzy. :)

Beth said...

I just want to know who does the certifying. I'm tired of my husband calling me a dork. And I'm NOT certified.

Leah Rubin said...

Wow, that's a completely new level of Dorkdom! I am really impressed! I thought I was married to the King of Dorkylvania, but he's never pulled this one on me... I think I'll save it to pull on him! Shhhhh... don't tell...

Quilly said...

Hmmm, since your husband did not understand the significance of the amount and you did, perhaps the award should have gone to you! ;)

The Wife O Riley said...

Congrats to Joe for receiving the award. It is much more prestigous than the Klingon award.

Unknown said...

I LOVED the Chandler impression. That just made the story. lol

Anonymous said...

i looove chandler!!! i totally heard him say that!!!