STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, July 29, 2009

The original Brangelina

I'm having a bit of a topic block so I decided to go smack the "random article" link on Wikipedia. It's over on the left or you can click here. Fun, huh?

My first random article was about Ranlo, North Carolina.
Ranlo was named for John Calvin Rankin and William Thomas Love, two prominent area industrialists - "Ranlo" was a contraction of RANkin and LOve.

See? The original Brangelina! Only, RanLo beat them to the punch by about 100 years. Suck it, Brangelina!

The next few were pretty boring but then Wikipedia gifted me with smoking cap. Similar to a smoking jacket, this was to keep your hair from smelling of smoke. Here's an idea - don't smoke, you won't smell!

Speaking of smell, here's Lady Mary Pellatt. She "...was the first Chief Commissioner of the Girl Guides of Canada. She was awarded the Silver Fish." Wait, silver fish? If anyone ever awards me with a silver fish, I'm going to award them with a punch in the face.

What's with all the moth species and football entries? Is this thing broken?

And, finally, desmoteplase. Any guesses what that might be? If you said "a chemical in the saliva of vampire bats" you would be correct! I'm going to bet none of you guessed that though. It keeps the blood of the victim from clotting, causing profuse bleeding. Awesome, huh?

I'm going to take threats of vampire bats as a serious sign that Wikipedia has had enough of me. Leave a comment and let me know what kind of random crap Wikipedia served up for you. Maybe it will inspire a post for someone.

(Just a disclaimer - I think wikipedia is crap as an actual source but that doesn't mean it can't be fun or even useful. Just gotta double-check those facts!)

12 comments:

Intense Guy said...

I got:

Grover the Sesame Street character.
NGC 6723 is a globular cluster in the constellation Sagittarius.
Harphale, some surname in India that is considered royalty.

I think Grover is more my speed.

C. Beth said...

I wonder if it says something about my relationship with my husband, that I can't put our names together to make a cute mononame.

If it does say anything, I think it says something positive. That's my story, and I'm stickin' to it.

Everyday Goddess said...

I got Vegetable Thins, made by Christie. The Canadian alternative to Wheat Thins, who in no way sponsored my comment.

Jan Holt said...

Okay, now I'm obsessed with desmoteplase.

Wikipedia gave me The S&P/TSX Composite Index which has something to do with the Toronto Stock Exchange. I fell asleep after the first three words. But BOOYAH for Canada being so well represented by Wikipedia. Silverfish, Vegetable Thins, and S&P... I think the Canucks have hijacked Wikipedia for their own nefarious designs. I'll bet they are planning an invasion of... somewhere.

Accidentally Me said...

And here I always thought that Bennifer was first!!! I had no idea...

Isabella said...

One of my random articles: Kaginele Kanaka Guru Peetha (apparently, a gathering place for gurus). There are only 3 sentences about it, but long enough words to confuse the heck out of you.

Thank you for the random article fun! I'll have to try it next time I'm stumped. :)

Debbi said...

I got "Ziegler Polar Expedition". Quite fascinating, actually.

And if Will and I merged our names, we'd be..
Debil? Wilbi?

mo.stoneskin said...

Crumbs, smacking the "random article" link on Wikipedia" is quite a bold move. You never know what might come up. I don't get the silver fish thing. Fish?

blognut said...

I knew Brangelina couldn't have been first! They've never done anything original in their entire lives.

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

My husband and I would make Rike. Or Myan. I think I like Myan better. Although Rike's was a store when my dad was a kid and he says they had the best malted milk balls ever and nobody has made them that good since. They probably used real sugar.

I've gone and blathered all over your comment section. Sorry.

http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com said...

mmm I got Benita Von Falkenhayen
and I couldnt read it because I think it was in GERMAN!!!
came by to return the follow
Brittany
http://www.papermoonies.blogspot.com

Toriz said...

You're right, I didn't guess that (about the bat saliva chemical thingy). LOL!