STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Wednesday, April 08, 2009

Celebrate!

Mark this date on your calendar! Ok, actually, mark yesterday's date on your calendar. That's the day I hit 100 followers! Wait, I haven't hit any followers. At least not on purpose. I maybe threaten to punch a few in the face from time to time but I haven't done it yet. (Donnetta, your day is still coming for cheating on Six Word Saturday).

Anyways, I remember chatting with SomeMonkey about reaching just ten followers. What a milestone! And now, C. Beth is my 100th. Somehow that makes me unnaturally happy because she's probably one of the very first blogs I started following.  She declined her prize as 100th follower, by the way. Seems she wasn't interested in all the cat hair she could eat. Tonya is going to feel so shunned.

I planned to have a celebration of some sort when I achieved the magic number but with all the phoning it in and walruses around here lately, I didn't expect to be gaining followers in the last week.

But yet, here you are. And here I am. Also, I'm writing this the night before, like I usually do. And since I'm not sure where this post is going, I thought I'd just finish it tomorrow. But Twitter will not be ignored and so I finish it now, despite a large number of drinks. (I guess I'm drinking my week's allotment all at once on a work night because the dr gave me new meds to start tomorrow that mean no drinking for 7 days).

Lora posed a question on Twitter that I don't have a good answer to (oh, man, I ended that sentence on a preposition - I seriously try not to do that). Anyways, she asked "Would you follow yourself on twitter? Would you read your own blog? I mean, if you didn't know you? Do you read your archives?". Yeah, I don't know. I think I'd read me but some days I'd ignore me because I'm obnoxious or whiny. But other times I'd laugh at me because I'm obnoxious. My actual response said something like "some day I expect my archives will scare the hell out of me".

Which all reminds me of one of the nicest blog-related compliments I've ever received. It was early on and came from one of the very few readers of this blog that I knew before I started writing here.  SisterFriend once said to me "even if i didnt know you i'd read your blog. me likey". That makes me warm and fuzzy inside.

In some ways, I feel like the 100th follower is bigger than the number of posts I've written. I could write 50 posts each day and if nobody gives a stamp of approval by following, it's kind of worthless. During a time when I'm struggling with a lot of internal issues, in turn fighting with my self-worth, I just want to say thank you to the hundred of you that follow. And those of you subscribe in other ways that don't follow. And those of you that visit occasionally all on your own.

This blog has become something I didn't expect, in both good ways and bad.  I have taken to putting most of my deep dark moments elsewhere even though that was my original intent for here.  While this is somewhat written for an audience most of the time, I still have my very personal quiet outlets.  And the relationships I've forged and enjoyment I've received from writing, reading, and commenting (as well as tweeting) has far surpassed my initial dreams.

Yeah, you can thank the Twitter-voters who decided I should BUI (Blog Under the Influence) for the extra sap and mush. But you can thank all of you for deserving it. Here's to 100 more!  Or, if all 100 of you leave me tomorrow, I'll probably still keep blogging, posting to the voices in my head.  And expecting answers.

26 comments:

mo.stoneskin said...

Congratulations. But I can't stay long. I need to trawl through every comment I've ever written here to make sure I haven't ended any sentences with prepositions.

I don't mean to.

Sass said...

Congratulations! ;)

I'm glad I stumbled upon your blog on a quiet Saturday morning...

My Saturdays will never be the same. And that's a good thing!

Pseudo said...

Congrats on 100 followers. Amazing and fun adventure blogging.

Hit 40 said...

My favorite compliment also came from my sister over the phone - she said my blog was really funny and giggled! It meant the world to me. When it is from family, it really touches you.

Katie Lane said...

Wow 100 followers! Any advise for me?

larkswing said...

Whoot Whoot - way to go!

Toriz said...

Congrats on reaching 100 followers. :)

You have a very interesting blogging style. I like it! :)

Lora said...

I have a post in my head answering my Twitter question, but I might not get around to it any time soon.

Thanks for BUIing!

and thanks for the link!

and congrats on the 100th!

Andi said...

Awesome, congrats! Something for me to strive for!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Congratulations, Cate. :)

Annelie said...

Congrats Cate! You're one of my absolute favorites, you know that right?

Kelly Deneen Raymond said...

haha! You are hilarious. I'm so glad I visited you today! :)

Thanks for stopping by my blog this morning!

SF said...

Woot, I got my first shout-out on your blog! I'm e-famous! LOL

Juliet Colors said...

Congratulations! It is gratifying to have followers. I'm certainly glad I found you.

Debbi said...

100~~??? WOW. I am in awe. You are truly more entertaining than I to read! ;)

No, congratulations! Glad I could be one of the millions. er.. one of the hundreds. er. hundreD.

Grand Pooba said...

Can you get arrested for a BUI?

Just wonderin.


I LOVE your blog woman! Even if I didn't know you I'd still read. Wait, I don't really know you so that says a lot right?

Call Me Cate said...

Mo - After the funny I enjoyed in your post today, you're forgiven.

Sass - I started 6WS as a phone-in and it's become my favorite day.

HS Teacher - Thanks, it has been a fun adventure.

Hit 40 - My family knows nothing of this blog but it would be fabulous to receive that kind of acknowledgment.

Katie Lane - The best advice I can give is to comment comment comment! Respond to comments on your blog and comment like crazy elsewhere. Also, bribes help.

lmerie - thanks!

Tori - I'm glad you enjoy my babbling!

Lora - It was a very interesting question. I often wonder if I'd be friends with me and this was a great extension of that thought.

Andi - You ken doo eet!!!

RAS - Thanky!

Snarky - Awww, warm and fuzzy back at ya!

Kelly - Thanks for returning the visit!

SF - I haven't shouted you out before? You're on my "cast and crew" page.

Juliet - Followers are great for the ego. Especially high quality ones!

Debbi - I don't have millions yet. But I'm still working steadily towards world domination. Some day...

Grand Pooba - It probably depends on what I B while UI. And even if I didn't know you, I'd still read your blog as well! Wait...

Betty said...

Congrats to your 100 followers! I´m only half way there, but I love them all!

blognut said...

Congratulations on your 100th follower. Maybe you can find a way to use this influence you have to rule the world.

Anonymous said...

Whoo hoo!!!! Congratulations!!!!!

Coffee Slut said...

Awesome! Congrats!

Lyndsay said...

Yay! 100 followers is a great accomplishment. I'm so disappointed Beth wouldn't take the hair. I thought I knew her better than that :)

I'd totally read my own blog, LOL!

Donnetta said...

DAMN!! I knew a punch in the face was coming! If Beth doesn't want Tonya's cat hair, I think you should give it to Snarky. She can make another hat.

I CUI all the time. So - if you ever wonder what the hell I mean, it's probably nothing. I'm drunk.

Donnetta said...

BTW - every time I see mo.stoneskin's name I double take. I swear I think it's "foreskin". Nice, huh.

Sassy Britches said...

I am so happy for you and your 100! I think you're so right that the number of people hanging with you seems to be more important than the number of posts...they've become a little family of sorts! I'm so glad I came to visit for Six Word Saturday and brought a few friends along; it's never a dull moment over here and we love ya bunches!

Call Me Cate said...

Betty - I <3 my crew as well. Good people.

blognut - I already rule the world. You just don't know it yet.

Hula - thanks, good to see you again!

Coffee Slut - thanky!

Lundsay - I don't understand why anyone wouldn't want a bag full of Tonya's hair. She finds it quite tasty!

Donnetta - Snarky would make awesome hats out of Tonya's hair. And they'd be so warm! I see Mo's name and think "snakeskin" for some reason.

Sassy Britches - So warm and fuzzy, our little family.