STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Thursday, April 09, 2009

Retail therapy

A couple of weeks ago, in the midst of a temper tantrum, I did what any good woman would do.  I counted to ten and focused on my breathing punched someone in the face poured myself a drink bought myself a gift. And I love my gift from me so much that I'm totally going to buy another one. Or twelve.

Shh... Please don't tell Joe. By the time he reads this it will be too late. I cannot be stopped. Bwahahahaha!

Anyways, I saw these amazing bracelets on Signals.com. Simple silver bangles with a line of inspiring words. Three issues - I'm not a big fan of bangles, the price was more than I wanted to spend, and the words weren't quite my words.

I set off in search of other bracelets that I could customize, pinging Twitter for assistance. C Beth reminded me of Lisa Leonard's beautiful jewelry. I especially love the lovebird cuff I linked and I'll own it someday but it still wasn't *quite* what I was after for this project - I wanted more letters and less cost.

Finally I hit the old stand-by for personalized gifts - Things Remembered. I found these bracelets, (hoping and praying that link works - it's been wonky) on sale, and with a coupon. Total for one bracelet, engraved on one side and shipped, was $41. Much more acceptable for a splurge indulgence.

I chose the black bracelet and had it engraved with words from a song. The full phrase is: "So take a minute just to breathe And think of everything you wanted And what you got instead". It's actually a David Cook song from his first solo album, Analog Heart. The song, Straight Ahead, is about focusing on what you really want. Just the six words I chose from that phrase are a fantastic reminder for me to focus: "take a minute just to breathe".

I <3 my new bracelet so much. I can't remember if I ever blogged about the bracelet I received from my sister. It was fake pearls and metal spacers, slightly too big for my wrist, and brought me comfort in times of anxiety like nothing else. I spun and counted those beads much like I imagine a Catholic seeks solace from the familiarity of a rosary. And last May, I lost it. I was devastated, had a new bracelet made in the same pattern, Joe bought me yet another bracelet, and neither were the same. This bracelet is different but it's also awesome. I can slide it around, count the beads, play with the beads that dangle. Plus, reading those words helps me to remember an important lesson.

So I'm buying another one. I've already bought black/wisdom. The other choices are green/luck, purple/dream, and rose/love. Which would you choose? And, more importantly, what would you have engraved on it? It can be a single word or up to 4 lines of 12 characters each. I especially love quotes and lyrics but mostly I just want it to serve as a reminder of some important idea. Be creative, I can't wait to see what you come up with. I'd even splurge to engrave both sides for the right quote.

A couple I'm considering (though I haven't counted for viability):
  • Hope is faith holding out its hand in the dark.
  • focus
  • Well-behaved women rarely make history
  • Love all, trust a few, do wrong to none.
  • Good habits are as easy to form as bad ones.
  • Let me listen to me and not to them.
  • Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday.
  • We each fill the silence with our own insecurities.
  • I do whatever my rice crispies tell me to

And, because I know some of you probably fail at math like me, don't get tripped up on the counting. Feel free to share your favorite quotes you feel are worthy of wearing, even if they won't fit on my bracelet.

By the way, if you came here in search of information regarding the use of robot armadillos in combat, sorry to say you've come to the wrong place.

P.S. I'm kidding about the rice crispies quote. I wouldn't really want to wear that.

21 comments:

Beth said...

Ha! I love "focus." That would be one I could relate to.

Great idea!

Hit 40 said...

Just breath.... I have wanted to know the name of that song!!! I am off to itunes to buy it. Seriously - I just need to calm down and breath!!!

Scriptor Senex said...

Well-behaved women rarely make history! That has to be it.

Or perhaps - Love is all around.

mo.stoneskin said...

I think you should go for "I do whatever my rice crispies tell me to".

In fact, I'm getting that tattooed on my forehead.

But wait a minute, I thought you hated ending with prepositions.

Sassy Britches said...

I'd do "Relax."

Or "Life is too important to be taken seriously."

Both are favorite mantras of mine.

Call Me Cate said...

Beth - I think I might get "focus" on the lovebird cuff from Lisa Leonard. Very simple and it means so many things.

Hit 40 - It's amazing that as automatic as breathing supposedly is, we sometimes forget. And there's definitely a difference between the auto and conscious versions of it.

Scriptor Senex - I like "Love is all around". I'm going to add that to my short list. Thanks for visiting!

Mo - that's exactly why I couldn't put that on a piece of jewelry. Wearing something that ends in a preposition? So unfashionable.

Sassy Britches - I like both of those very much. Good things to remember.

blognut - I bet the engraver would get a kick out of programming that into the computer, huh?

Andi said...

The beautiful is everywhere.
―Fernand Léger

P.S. I gave you a little award:
http://misadventures-with-andi.blogspot.com/2009/04/awards-awards.html

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

I vote for either "focus" or one of my favorite quotes of all time, "well behaved women seldom make history." Both are worthy of a bracelet. I've seen those at Thing Remembered, and they are beautiful in a simple kind of way - not too big, not too flashy, but just right.

Charis said...

I bought this bracelet for my best friend last Xmas. I had her monogram engraved on it. She LOVED it!

Annelie said...

No information regarding the use of robot armadillos in combat?!?! So deceiving! Ha ha... hilarious! ;)

I love the bracelet idea, but I'll have to think of what I would put on mine... I love the lovebird cuff from Lisa Leonard.

Unknown said...

well frig cate, the rice krispie quote really sold me.

i like me some "peace".

or "everything will be okay in the end...if it's not okay, it's not the end". but that's kind of long for an engravement.

maybe just "suck it".

i seriously like your one for taking time to breathe. i'm totally going to check out the site.

Call Me Cate said...

Andi - That's a lovely quote. Thanks for the award - I haven't forgotten the meme you tagged me for so I'll pick it up then.

RAS - I love my bracelet and want all four colors. :)

Charis - I'm glad your friend liked her bracelet. I've never been big on wearing things with my name or initials (because usually I know who I am) but as a gift from a friend, that would be really cool.

Snarky - The only info I have is that robot armadillos are way more effective than non-robots.

andy - Peace is good. Suck it is hilarious though.

Just say Julie said...

What a cool present for yourself. I wouldn't think to buy something like that for, even though I've probably put it on at least one Christmas/Birthday list.

Hmmmm, a quote. Here's one:
Whatever you are, be a good one (Lincoln)

Juliet Colors said...

As you might have noticed, my favorite mantra currently is "Everything in life is only for now" from "Avenue Q." I love it because it can mean different things depending on what I need: It can remind me to cherish the good in the present, or it can help me get through the bad by reminding me that too is temporary.

Donnetta said...

AHHH - David Cook. Love him, love him, love him.

My fav from your list "Well behaved women rarely make history." It's also gonna be my new mantra. 'Cause I don't like to behave. It makes for a boring Donnetta.

I like "Pollen makes my glands swell." It should look lovely on any bracelet.

Call Me Cate said...

Julie - I'm a big fan of that quote, actually. I guess some people get tattoos, I'm trying out jewelry. :)

Juliet Colors - I love your mantra. Very versatile.

Donnetta - Behaving is way boring. And yes, the pollen statement is also applicable to me but not maybe the deepest for permanent engraving.

Anonymous said...

That is such a great idea. Love it!

Anonymous said...

I think mine would say "Hope"

Megan said...

What an awesome bracelet and I love the quote.

I'm thinking I need something that has to do with patience...or waiting...I don't have a quote in mind though. I would probably just get 'patience' engraved.

Call Me Cate said...

Yaya - I think "hope" would be a perfect bracelet for you.

Megan - I'm not very patient so that's another great idea. Ha, you should see how impatient I was waiting for my last bracelet to arrive!

Sass said...

"This too shall pass."

It's what my grandma always said to me when things got tough.

It's what's getting me through stuff right now.

And now I think I want a black one that says that...Hmm....;)