STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Friday, September 16, 2011

A Bad Day

Yesterday was not a very good day. So many little things happened, none of them a big deal on their own, but the entirety of it all became "too much." You know those days - I think we have to admit that we all have them from time to time.

I'm disappointed in myself though that I let My Bad Day Of Little Things get to me. I try hard not to let that happen. I try to keep my reactions in check and not make things worse by allowing it to snowball. I didn't do a very good job with that yesterday.

Eventually, I put myself in timeout. If I can't hold myself together, the least I can do is not drag anyone else down with me. Ever notice how much negativity there is online? Twitter especially seems just full of 140-character complaints. They don't do the complainer any good because most of the time the offending party will never see the issue to do anything about it. I'm not above it, by any means. But I try to remember how all of those negative messages can bring others down and that's reduced my groaning somewhat.

By the end of the night I was feeling better. I stepped back and gave myself room to settle down. I ended up on my beloved porch, in the dark, in the rain, and it was the perfect ending to an otherwise not-so-good day.

Today is Friday (Friday!) and I'm glad to see this week coming to a close. It's been very busy, mostly with great things that I didn't take the time to blog about. There have also been a lot of inconvenient things that are necessary (things like home appraisals for refinancing and estimates from plumbers and calls to the gas company over a potential gas leak in the 'hood).

I guess if this post has any point at all, it's just that we should consider the energy we bring to a place, whether it's our office, our home, or online. I know I'm going to make a stronger effort.

10 comments:

Unknown said...

I know the feeling very well! There are many days that I just take a timeout from being online because I know I have nothing positive to add and don't want to be the resident bring-down. Besides it is hard enough to put on that happy face in person, let alone online where many of us write more with our hearts than with our heads.

betty said...

Hoping today is a better day! That was wise to remove yourself if you knew it wasn't the best thing for you to be online, Twitter, etc. I think we all have days like that; I know yesterday afternoon I had to do a lot of attitude adjustment, which I was really happy to say it didn't get too blown out of proportion compared to a few months past, so I guess the prayers are working :)

Got lots on your plate with appraisals, etc. Gas leak would have me a bit worried!

betty

C. Beth said...

So true.... My attitudes rub off on the people around me. I hope I'm positive more often than I am negative. Maybe this post will help me remember to be more conscious of that.

Diane said...

Sometimes just getting through today is all we can do. Thankful, with each new days brings new hope. Love that line from the movie Vacation. :O)

Susie Clevenger said...

We often are a pillar of strength in the big things that hit our lives and crumble with the little things...I hate it when I am grumpy. Life is too short to be a prune.. I keep telling myself that :)

Toriz said...

Well put! :)

I share some of my bad days, but I try not to make my posts - either on my blog or on Facebook - about depressing stuff. I figure people have enough issues of their own without reading about mine all the time!

Elaine said...

That's a good point about Twitter - a lot of the tweets ARE people being annoyed by something - service, trains being late, dull TV programmes. Perhaps there should be a campaign to have a 'happy' Twitter day!

Hope you are having a better day today.

vivinfrance said...

I can empathise with all you say. I hope that the new day has brightened your world.

Martha said...

I'm full of bad energy today, a place I try not to be! Maybe I should have read this before I wrote my 6WS post. I try to leave that bad stuff behind. Funny how this week at work the energy was so much more positive, as one person who is ALWAYS negative was on vacation. Maybe I should have bought that Sage to "cleanse" my house with today at the Spiritual shop!

Bruno Laliberté said...

OH MY!!
i do hope that 'gas leak" issue is quickly resolved. don't want you, or anyone else for that matter, to go KABOOM!!!...
:/~

as for whining, i do indulge myself as it is a release, and a relief, and gives me time to ponder the situation and possibly find a solution. i prefer someone complaining about a legitimate issue than those people with a sunny disposition. boy, those annoy me!! nobody can be SO happy and trouble free!! life brings its share of everything and you have to enjoy what you can, deal with the rest and be satisfied when you're done, hoping for the next patch of sunny sky, or a smile...
:)~
HUGZ