STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, October 11, 2010

National Coming Out Day

Today, October 11, is Columbus Day (whatever) and Canadian Thanksgiving (yay neighbors to the north). But more importantly to me, today is also National Coming Out Day. For more information, check out the Human Rights Campaign site.

I'm not going to write a long post on this. I'm not a member of the LGBT community - except as a supporter. Personally, I'm straight. Always have been (with the exception of an odd dream here and there). But this is another one of those issues where I'm free to be straight - and everyone else should be free to be who they are. Without legal discrimination. Without judgement. Without sneers or bullying or violence. Without shame or depression.

My philosophy on life is very much "live and let live". I tend to be a bit conservative in how I conduct myself but that's my choice. And as long as how you are conducting yourself does not endanger or harm another person, I don't feel entitled to much of an opinion except to support your right to live your life. Freely. Happily. Safely.

So, today, I just want to support those who struggle with inequality in this area. Maybe some day, there won't be a need for a special day because being LGBT won't be "special" - it will be a non-issue.

7 comments:

Molly said...

I love this post. I, personally, am not a member of the LGBT community either, but I have several friends who are, and am a strong supporter of them. Discrimination is so uncalled for, but it happens every day.

C. Beth said...

The recent suicides in the LGBT community--brought on by bullying--are horrifying.

I have so much I could say about this issue but don't feel like a blog's comment section is the place to write a long essay.

Suffice to say--whatever someone believes about the morality of every one of my actions, I hope they will treat me with respect. And I want to give that same respect to those around me.

TMC said...

Good for you for posting! We need everyone's help to spread the word.

Jeanie said...

That will be a good day when it becomes a non-issue.

Toriz said...

I don't think it should be an issue either. I've had friends whose preferences have difffered from my own, and saw no reason to think any differently of them for it. Everyone should be free to make their own decissions, be their own person, and feel that they are free to be with whoever they want to be with, regardless of who they are.

Sassy Britches said...

Yes for this and yes for you.

holly said...

"Personally, I'm straight. Always have been (with the exception of an odd dream here and there)."

Love it. You don't have to be gay to be for gay rights.