STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, June 15, 2009

SWYMM: Overheard on vacation edition

Just a few tidbits from the past week.

For those of you just joining us, the cast includes:
  • me
  • Joe
  • Mother
  • Dad
  • Rob (brother)
  • Rochelle (SIL)
  • Tina (sister, 2 mos pregnant)
  • Dan (BIL)
  • Collin (14 mo nephew)
And apparently either we're all hard-of-hearing or suck at listening.
Dad: Let's give Collin a flavor-ice by the pool.
Rob: A flea dip? In the pool?
Rob: You're not Roch.
me: I'm not rich? What?
Mother: Collin would like a little cousin Aunt Cate!
me: And I'd like another beer.
Collin: yabba blah blah EEEEEE gah gah!!!!
Dad: Cate's mother has really let herself go. And become a total pain in the ass.
Joe: Uh...
While playing Uno:
Dan (seated between me and Tina): Haha, I'm totally nailing Cate.
Rob: Wrong sister.
Cards reverse direction of play:
Dan: Ha, now I'm totally nailing Tina!
Rob: That would explain why she's knocked up.
Really smooth, my family.

14 comments:

Debbi said...

I loved the nailing Cate one. LOL

flea dip- tee hee

The Wife O Riley said...

Those are great!!

Hit 40 said...

My boys are absolutely crude with each other. When we go out to a fast casual restaurant, we split up with hubby at one end of restaurant and me on the other - each with one child.

... they get their awful mouth from me :-( But - not in public PLEASE!!!

blognut said...

Excellent. We usually end up discussing bodily functions at our family gatherings. Enormous fun, really!

SisterFriend said...

The nailing Cate one was awesome. Did your dad seriously say that about your mom? Owch, but LOL!!!!

Margaret said...

Pretty funny. Almost sounds normal; of course, I judge "normal" by my own dysfunctional (but mostly loveable) family.

Ronnica said...

Oh, family...

Grand Pooba said...

Ha! Rob sounds like my kinda guy tee hee hee!

Unknown said...

Shit... that sounds way too close to my family. I thought that was NORMAL????

We never listen to each other, and when we do, we usually get it wrong.

The nailing the wrong sister - my hubby is EXTREMELY bothered by the fact that his sister and I are best friends, and constantly get told that we look like twins. It kinda creeps him out. We find it amusing and tease the hell out of him about it :)

Call Me Cate said...

Debbi - The kid drools a lot but I didn't notice any fleas!

Wife O Riley - I have to laugh at the poor communications skills sometimes.

Hit 40 - I refrained from teaching Collin any bad words. Yay Aunt Cate!

Blognut - I was impressed. Fart jokes were kept to a minimum. Belching (and in public) never gets old for my folks.

SisterFriend - Joe had no idea how to respond when Dad said that to him about my mother. Ouch!

Meg - the dysfunction in my family is pretty deep but this is pretty "normal" stuff by most measures.

Ronnica - Can't live with 'em, can't shoot 'em.

Grand Pooba - Rob's a riot. He and SIL are quiet but he's got a very quick wit about him.

Kay - These are definitely normal things in most families. Still, amusing for me since I don't interact with them that often.

betty said...

oh my, these were funny to read; my favorite was your response when your mom said Collin needed a little cousin.

hoping Monday back in your regular routine went good

betty

larkswing said...

hehe - great comments!

Toriz said...

LOL!

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

Haha - Rob sounds like fun.