STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Sunday non-confessions

So, no confession today. Well, sorta. I want to blog in a more boring way. More of a "day to day" sorta post. Sorry if you're bored by it or offended by warm fuzziness, though it's not so warm fuzzy. I want to tell you about my Valentine's Day.

However, I want to share my REAL Valentine's Day. I was typing up my Valetine's Day for the blog the family has access to - the G-rated, boring, menu-centered version - and felt more inclined to share some of the things I can't share there.

Joe made us a dinner reservation at 6:30, destination unknown to me. Given my anxiety issues, I figured this meant he intended to kill me. Despite his fabulous intentions, I don't do well with surprises. And the last fancy place we went out to was for my birthday last March, during which I spent the entire meal in the bathroom. What a waste of money and shaving my legs.

Last night, I kept myself distracted until we left for our reservation. We went to an upscale steakhouse, were seated promptly in the far end of the far dining room, and even though I was fine until that point, I promptly started to freak out. Yay claustrophobia! I felt trapped and it seemed hot in there (Joe says no, it was actually sorta cool). My mind was fine but my tummy said otherwise. I ignored it for as long as possible and finally told Joe to order whatever appetizer he wanted while I hit the ladies' room (I'm totally not confident about that apostrophe, btw).

A quick emptying of the tummy later, I returned to find our appetizer and wine delivered. I sat down, Joe put a scallop on my plate, and I promptly began coughing. No, not coughing. Hacking. Gagging. Dying. So I left and went outside for a few minutes. Came back to the table, ate a tasty scallop. Told Joe to eat the rest of them, went back outside.

Finally I was able to regain control and enjoy the rest of the meal. Salad, entree (petite filet mignon), and dessert with no problems.

Then we came home and went to sleep before 10pm. My plague is still kicking my ass, obviously.

I hope you all felt some love yesterday. While I did far better than the last time we went out for a fancy meal, I still experienced a few freakout moments. I'm just grateful I was able to finally settle down enough to enjoy the evening. That's progress for me, which makes me warm and fuzzy.

So sorry for no Sunday confession but sometimes I just want to blog about my day and it's my blog so I can. Or I'll punch you in the face.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

confession was-you have another blog?

blognut said...

Glad you were able to go out for a nice dinner, even with its challenges.

Unknown said...

You do realize you've invented a catch phrase with the whole "punch you in the face" thing, right?

Love it.

Glad to hear you survived the meal with only a few hiccups. It is fabulous that your hubby is encouraging, but not shoving you off the edge of the perverbial cliff. He sounds great.

HEY! My word verification is "rockin"! Awesome.

Grand Pooba said...

Wow dinner anxiety? Glad to hear you actually got to finish the dinner!

Your comment on my blog still has me laughing! That must have been some great Pinot...

Ryan Ashley Scott said...

You had me at petite filet. Nothing else matters.

Glad you could enjoy yourself for most of the night out.

Sassy Britches said...

Oh, my! I'm sorry that things weren't the greatest, but I'm glad you're progressing! Hang in there.

RSusanna said...

I am glad I'm not the only one with anxiety and anger issues. Lol. Although, when it comes to food everything just goes out the window. Hope you feel better soon.

Annelie said...

I'm so glad that you got a chance to enjoy [most of] your night out with Joe. Progress is awesome, and the warm fuzzies comes with the territory.

The Blonde Duck said...

Why were you not feeling well? I'm sorry you were sick!

Midlife, menopause, mistakes and random stuff... said...

You be silly Show My Face.....I like that ;=}
Glad to hear that you had a great (??) Valentine's Day and....

Steady On
Reggie Girl

Call Me Cate said...

Yaya - oh, yes, I have a boring blog that is suitable for coworkers and family. Don't worry, it's boring as hell so you're missing nothing.

Blognut - thank you. I was glad too.

Andy - I do my best. I wonder if I can insist you all pay me a nickel every time you use my phrase? I need to find a way to get rich from this thing somehow!

Pooba - it was VERY good pinot, apparently. Yes, I'm blushing a bit now.

RAS - for a brief moment I considered ordering the grilled tuna. It was a very short lapse and I realized quickly that filet was the only acceptable choice.

Sassy Britches - that's me, hanging on. By a thread, usually.

R Susanna - as a lover of food, nothing makes me more frustrated than having an anxiety attack that ruins a meal.

A - Joe's a good guy. He didn't even give me a hard time about it.

Blonde Duck - I suffer from horrible anxiety and for some reason it manifests itself when we go out to eat. Almost without fail.

Reggie Girl - I do my best to be silly at least once a day. Today, not yet. But I feel it coming on soon.

Lyndsay said...

Cate - You've got to take the small victories where you can and just see progress for what it is ... progress :)

soulbrush said...

all i know is that i hate eating out!!!! i had anorexia and bulimia for many years and have a left-over fear of eating out...oh well that's me, and it's your blog and i felt like saying.....

The Wife O Riley said...

I'm glad your anxiety didn't seem to ruin your dinner.

Nothing happened here.

TMC said...

That's progress!

Sounds like Joe is patient & supportive.