STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Monday, January 02, 2012

Word of the Year: 2012

Each year, I pick a word that I want to guide me. You can see past picks in my sidebar to the right. Last year's choice, better wasn't a huge success. This year, I'm choosing mindful.

Main Entry: mind·ful
Pronunciation: \ˈmīn(d)-fəl\
Function: adjective

1: attentive, aware, or careful (usually followed by of)
2: tending toward awareness and appreciation
3: having specified facts or feelings actively impressed on the mind

Synonyms: alive, conscious, cognizant, sensible, thoughtful, vigilant
Antonyms: absent-minded, careless, unaware, insensitive, oblivious

I've cobbled together the above from several online dictionaries and thesauruses. (Thesauri?)

Here's what mindful means to me for the new year:

  • aware of long-term goals when making short-term choices
  • appreciative of opportunities in the here and now
  • thoughtful about the effect my words and actions have on me, others, the world
  • able to find gratitude in current situations even if they aren't my ideal

How does that apply on a practical level? I'll think (long-term) before I act (short-term). It comes down to being conscious of my goals at all times, making them a priority over instant gratification. It also means making the most of this moment as I seek those results. I'll skip the right-now-yumminess of that cookie because I'm focused on my overall health and weight goals. I'll take ownership of my actions and attitude in my current place instead of using circumstances outside of my control as an excuse to be lazy. I'll appreciate the efforts of those around me and be aware of the attitude and effort I'm giving back to them.

A lot of this is about approach. Instead of seeing myself as unemployed while I wait for Joe's job situation to work itself out, I now consider myself a full-time freelancer. I will dedicate time each day to actively seeking new opportunities. (Know anyone that needs some writing, editing, or marketing done? Hook me up!) Instead of focusing on the overwhelming amount of weight I need to lose, I'll concentrate on the benefits of being active, drinking water, and taking vitamins every day - all of these things have immediate advantages in addition to moving me towards a lower number on the scale. I will take the small steps necessary now to make progress towards those larger goals.

I've experienced a lot of discontent and depressions and anxiety this year. My attempt to change this is in being mindful. If I'm making more deliberate decisions and being more aware of my destination, maybe that will bring me some peace of mind.

So, in 2012, I intend to move forward even though we're still in a place of flux with Joe's job. I wasted the majority of 2011 because I was waiting and putting too much responsibility on him. He has enough worries without me running amok. It's time for me to make my own way. It's time to remember where I'm going so I can actually get there. I hope that twelve months from now, I can look back and say that I was indeed mindful in my thoughts and actions.

13 comments:

I Am Not Superwoman said...

Mindful, a very good word for 2012. Hoping that 2012 is a better one for you Cate. My word for 2012 is Gratitude.

Toni said...

Mindful sounds like a very good word. I don't usually do words for the year. Maybe I should. This year should be Discipline.

betty said...

I do like your word, Cate, and I like your reasoning behind it, what you hope to accomplish in the year ahead as you are mindful. I think if you keep your focus on being mindful, it will be a successful year indeed! And I agree with your comment about wasting majority of 2011 waiting on Joe's job situation, etc. I found myself doing that in our present situation a lot, tried to turn that around the last few months of the year, which I was a bit successful with. I do know it is possible to change attitudes and change directions and I think you are heading in the right way indeed with being mindful in 2012! Looking forward to reading what you write regarding it!

betty

TMC said...

Excellent choice. It covers most everything else that would usually be a quickly-forgotten resolution.

Unknown said...

What a great idea! And I love this word... and your attitude. Now if only I had come up with this thought.... hmmm... perhaps I need to come up with an idea for the year? Nah.... too much work.... I'll just plod along and go along going along.....
Happy New Year and I hope you are successful with your mindfulness (hmmm, wonder if that is a word?)

Unknown said...

Mindful, I like it!

C. Beth said...

I think that's a great word, Cate. It is inspiring but realistic too..."doable."

Anonymous said...

I think that's a great word :-)

Toriz said...

Good word!

Unknown said...

i think this is such a neat idea...having the thought of a specific word in your head keeps you grounded in knowing what your goals are for yourself.

but a word might not be enough for me. maybe i need a whole sentence...

Melissa B. said...

I'm mindful that this is quite a clever post! Hope 2012 is all you wish for, and more.

Knocked Up in Bama said...

Great word, can cover soooo many things! Happy 2012!

JosephAlsarraf said...

That's a great word to use, everyone should use it in their everyday lives. Hope you have a great 2012!