STARTING 4/8/17: Six Word Saturday is now being hosted by the lovely Debbie at Travel With Intent.

Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Some Random Stuff

I have friends who participate in a Random Tuesday post. And then I was tagged over at Torizworld. While I'm not always responsive to tagging, I had a whole lot of nothing for today so I'm gonna go with it as an opportunity to share some of the little things bouncing around in my head that haven't been worth an entire post.

Eleven Random Things About Me: (aka the small stuff that isn't necessarily small or at all related to each other)

1. This morning, I woke up to discover a friend request on FB from a convicted murderer sitting on death row. I accepted. And then I spent two hours reading about the denials for a new trial and appeals and lost untested evidence and circumstantial evidence. I spent that time mourning for his family - I was 13 at the time he was arrested for murdering his estranged wife and her boyfriend. He left behind four children younger than me and they continue to go into debt to seek a new trial for their father. They (and I, for what it's worth) believe in his innocence and they've spent the last 17 years missing their dad. Sad as hell.

2. I told my grandmother that Joe is excited about going to India for work. Five minutes later, she said "where's he going in Chile?" No, Gramma, not Chile. India. "Oh, I always confuse them because they're so close to each other." Huh?

3. I told my parents that Joe is excited about going to India for work. "Why?" Why is he going for work? "No, why would he be excited about it."

4. In looking up tourist attractions for his trip (not that he's going to have much time for that kind of thing), we came across the Art of Living Center. Wow, is their Bangalore ashram ever beautiful. Anyone have any experience with this organization? They're non-denominational and seem to do some really interesting things. They have programs everywhere, including my undisclosed location, and I'm considering their intro course about meditation next month.

5. Next month. Is almost here. How did that happen already?

6. I haven't reported on the kitties in awhile. They haven't been interested in blogging because they seem to be hibernating for the winter. Tonya's had a nice spring in her step lately and we made a resolution for Rusty that he wouldn't poo outside the box anymore. So far, he's "only" done it three times, which is, sadly, a huge improvement.

7. I mentioned on Saturday that the new routine is kinda working. I'm still falling short of things every day, but overall there is progress. I even managed to spend some time yesterday brainstorming some edits for a story.

8. My sister took pictures of my nephew, staged to look like mugshots. I don't think she should encourage that. Kid is a (completely awesome) terror. I don't dare ask what crime was committed.

9. I had a dream last night about a baby. Her name was Paige. I'm pretty sure that had more to do with caring for a book (Paige = page) than it did with an actual baby. Right?!?!

10. If anyone ever tells you that Mary Karr's The Liars' Club is a funny book? They are lying.

11. Is it Spring yet? I don't mind the temperatures and I wouldn't even mind some snow. But I do mind how gloomy everything looks right now.

So, that's eleven. I'm also supposed to answer eleven questions and tag some people. I'm not going to do that because this is already long. And also because it's my blog and you can't make me.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Silly grandma, Chile is delicious, but not a country.

C. Beth said...

So hadn't Rusty pooped in the tub three times as of a week or two ago? In other words, maybe he's really STOPPED now? I'm thinking positively here...for your sake.... :)

Unknown said...

Your grandma makes me giggle. I hope Joe brings you back a sari. I just love all the bright colors in Indian culture. In honor of Joe's trip I'm going to watch Bride & Prejudice, a Bollywood musical based on Pride & Prejudice. One of my favorite movies ever!

Jeanie said...

Lots of interesting thoughts from grandmas to kitties. I'm not familiar with "The Liars Club", but I'm glad to learn that it is not funny.
I'd have to think a while to think of 11 things about me.

Rosemary Nissen-Wade said...

I totally enjoyed reading all that!

vivinfrance said...

Intriguing. Number 10: is the book NOT funny peculiar or NOT funny ha ha?

John said...

I just want the weather to make up its mind . . . it seems that we go from relatively mild to bitterly cold to downright dreary.

I was just about to start getting ready for India at my last job, and now, it looks like I'm going to have to go for this job. I'm partly-excited, partly scared. I hate flying.

Susi said...

My hubby's aunt and her husband live in Northern India. It's beautiful country up there!!!

Toriz said...

*Chuckles* you're right, I can't make you. And, besides, I said I wasn't going to force anyone to join in or follow the rules properly, and everyone includes you. :)

Mostly things in dreams are symbolic, and you could find it has nothing to do with babies or books; could just be "change"... A lot of things mean change for some reason.

Good luck with your meditation class; sounds fun, actually!

I was wondering where the kitty posts were!

Tami said...

I'm right there with you on #4. That's the typical kind of reaction I get when I tell my mom something. Recently told her I was going to try a new weight-loss program: "How much will that cost? What will Dave eat? I've heard about that program!" Then right on to talking about my sister and her concerns. Gee thanks, Mom! :) Hang in there!